Funk Inc. Funk, Inc./Chicken Lickin'
Only 7 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.05 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.93 (24% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Funk Inc. ~ Acid Inc ~ $11.95
- by The Five Stairsteps ~ The First Family of Soul: The Best of the Five Stairsteps (Remastered) ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Various Artists ~ The Funky 16 Corners ~ $14.38
- by Funk Inc. ~ Hangin' Out / Superfunk ~ $16.11
- by S.O.U.L. ~ What Is It / Can You Feel It ~ $12.35
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: April 24, 1995
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Prestige
- 1.Kool Is Back
- 3.Sister Janie
- 4.The Thrill Is Gone
- 5.The Whipper
- 6.Chicken Lickin'
- 7.Running Away
- 8.They Trying to Get Me
- 9.The Better Half
- 10.Let's Make Peace and Stop the War
- 11.Jung Bongo
Originally released as 2 separate LPs.
Funk Inc. includes: Eugene Barr, Bobby Watley, Steve Weakley, Jimmy Munford, Cecil Hunt.
Recorded in 1971-72.
In the 1990s, the popularity of acid jazz (especially in the U.K.) was great news for fans of Funk, Inc., whose 1970s Prestige dates had long been out of print. England's Ace label reissued all five of Funk's Prestige albums on CD, and in 1995, Fantasy combined the organ combo's first two albums, Funk, Inc. (1971) and Chicken Lickin' (1972), on this excellent 70-minute CD. When they first came out, both albums received their share of negative reviews from the more dogmatic jazz critics, who hated the idea of combining jazz with funk and soul. But the fact is that this material is infectious, captivating and hard-swinging. Funk, Inc. realized that jazz didn't have to be extremely intellectual to be worthwhile, and its mission (at least in the beginning) was to grab R&B fans with foot-pattin' grooves but expose them to the improvisational freedom of jazz. Soul-jazz tunes like "Bowlegs," "The Whipper" and "Sister Janie" were to the early 1970s what the music of Count Basie, Jimmie Lunceford and Lionel Hampton had been during the swing era -- improvisational party music that fared well among young African-American audiences. Other high points of the CD are B.B. King's "The Thrill Is Gone" and Sly Stone's "Running Away," both of which Funk really interprets instead of simply playing note-for-note covers. If you're getting into Funk, Inc. for the first time, this CD is the place to start. ~ Alex Henderson
Margie JosephMargie Joseph Makes a New Impression / Phase II [Stax] (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)(2)
$11.12 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)(11)
$3.99 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE