Funk Inc. Funk, Inc./Chicken Lickin'
Only 7 copies left
|You Save:||$1.10 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: April 24, 1995
- Label: Prestige
- 1.Kool Is Back
- 3.Sister Janie
- 4.The Thrill Is Gone
- 5.The Whipper
- 6.Chicken Lickin'
- 7.Running Away
- 8.They Trying to Get Me
- 9.The Better Half
- 10.Let's Make Peace and Stop the War
- 11.Jung Bongo
Funk Inc. includes: Eugene Barr, Bobby Watley, Steve Weakley, Jimmy Munford, Cecil Hunt.
Recorded in 1971-72.
In the 1990s, the popularity of acid jazz (especially in the U.K.) was great news for fans of Funk, Inc., whose 1970s Prestige dates had long been out of print. England's Ace label reissued all five of Funk's Prestige albums on CD, and in 1995, Fantasy combined the organ combo's first two albums, Funk, Inc. (1971) and Chicken Lickin' (1972), on this excellent 70-minute CD. When they first came out, both albums received their share of negative reviews from the more dogmatic jazz critics, who hated the idea of combining jazz with funk and soul. But the fact is that this material is infectious, captivating and hard-swinging. Funk, Inc. realized that jazz didn't have to be extremely intellectual to be worthwhile, and its mission (at least in the beginning) was to grab R&B fans with foot-pattin' grooves but expose them to the improvisational freedom of jazz. Soul-jazz tunes like "Bowlegs," "The Whipper" and "Sister Janie" were to the early 1970s what the music of Count Basie, Jimmie Lunceford and Lionel Hampton had been during the swing era -- improvisational party music that fared well among young African-American audiences. Other high points of the CD are B.B. King's "The Thrill Is Gone" and Sly Stone's "Running Away," both of which Funk really interprets instead of simply playing note-for-note covers. If you're getting into Funk, Inc. for the first time, this CD is the place to start. ~ Alex Henderson
The Poll WinnersExploring the Scene (with Shelly Manne & Ray Brown) (CD)
$10.56 LABOR DAY
The Five StairstepsThe First Family of Soul: The Best of the Five Stairsteps... View Details
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Funk genre:
- Cameo She's Strange / Single Life (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- The Time Pandemonium (LP) ~ $4.99 LABOR DAY
- Cameo Freaky Dancin' / Attack Me With Your Love (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Cameo Back And Forth / Flirt (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Cameo Keep It Hot / Shake Your Pants (45) ~ $1 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE