Charles Mingus Right Now: Live at the Jazz Workshop
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Charles Mingus ~ Triumph of the Underdog ~ $17.66
- by Charles Mingus ~ Charles Mingus Quintet + Max Roach (Live) ~ $10.56
- by Charles Mingus ~ Jazzical Moods ~ $10.56
- by Charles Mingus ~ Three Or Four Shades of Blue / Cumbia & Jazz Fusion (2-CD) ~ $10.98 (Save 27%)
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: December 18, 1990
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: OJC
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Charles Mingus (bass); John Handy (alto saxophone); Clifford Jordan (tenor saxophone); Jane Getz (piano); Dannie Richmond (drums).
Recorded at the Jazz Workshop, San Francisco, California on June 2 & 3, 1964. Originally released on Debut (86017). Includes liner notes by Rachel Sales.
Digitally remastered by Kirk Felton (1990, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: John Handy (saxophone, alto saxophone); Clifford Jordan (saxophone, tenor saxophone); John "Captain John" Handy (alto saxophone); Jane Getz (piano); Dannie Richmond (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Kirk Felton.
Liner Note Author: Rachel Sales.
Recording information: The Jazz Workshop, San Francisco, CA (06/02/1964/06/03/1964).
Unknown Contributor Roles: Clifford Jordan; Jane Getz; John Handy.
Much has been made of Mingus' 1960s Workshop sessions. Workshop concerts placed a premium on experimentation and featured a changing roster of musicians, compositions, arrangements and approaches in an informal, yet musically rigorous and highly adventurous atmosphere. RIGHT NOW is a recording of one such concert (taped in San Francisco in 1964 at a club called, oddly enough, the Jazz Workshop) and gives a strong sense of what these events were like.
Including two lengthy pieces: "New Fables" and "Meditation (For A Pair Of Wire Cutters)," the disc captures Mingus exploring, almost in collage-style, improvised musical ideas, radically shifting tempos, passages of fragmented melody, cacophony and tight thematic interactivity. Joined by powerhouse drummer Dannie Richmond, tenor saxman Clifford Jordan (whose fiery solo on "Fables" is particularly noteworthy), pianist Jane Getz and John Handy on alto sax, Mingus covers the bottom (and middle and top) with his extraordinary bass playing. An almost hour-long landscape of sophisticated, exploratory jazz compositions, RIGHT NOW is valuable as both a historical document and a musical adventure.
Art FarmerEarly Art with Sonny Rollins, Horace Silver and Wynton Kelly (CD)
$9.05 Super Savings
Three Or Four Shades of Blue / Cumbia & Jazz Fusion (2-CD)(2)
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE