Doris Day Calamity Jane [Prism]
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by Soundtrack ~ My Fair Lady [Original Soundtrack] ~ $9.18
- Released: April 18, 2006
- Label: Prism Platinum
- 1.Doris DayThe Deadwood Stage (Whip-Crack-Away)
- 2.Doris DayI Can Do Without You
- 3.Doris DayThe Black Hills Of Dakota
- 4.Doris DayJust Blew In From The Windy City
- 5.Doris DayA Woman's Touch
- 6.Howard KeelHigher Than A Hawk (Deeper Than A Well)
- 7.Doris Day'Tis Harry I'm Plannin' To Marry
- 8.Doris DaySecret Love
- 9.George SiravoIt's Magic
- 10.George SiravoPut 'Em In A Box, Tie It With A Ribbon (And Throw 'Em In The Deep Blue Sea)
- 11.Harry JamesWith A Song In My Heart
- 12.Harry JamesThe Very Thought Of You
- 13.Harry JamesI May Be Wrong (But I Think You're Wonderful)
- 14.Harry JamesToo Marvellous For Words
- 15.Buddy ClarkI'll String Along With You
- 16.The MellomenCuttin' Capers (Canadian Capers)
Adapters: Ralph Blane; Harry Warren .
Personnel: Doris Day (vocals); Howard Keel, Buddy Clark (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Tony Watts.
Recording information: 1948-1953.
The 1953 Columbia Records soundtrack album for the film Calamity Jane went out of copyright in Europe on January 1, 2004, and British label Prism Leisure, which specializes in unlicensed reissues of material new to the public domain, lost no time in putting out its own version on this CD. Upfront are the eight tracks from the Columbia album. It was a 10" LP, and notable as the first collection of songs from a film featuring actress/singer Doris Day actually to feature soundtrack performances, as opposed to studio re-recordings. Actually, the breakdown seemed to be about half and half. Aural evidence suggested that "The Black Hills of Dakota," "Just Blew in from the Windy City," "A Woman's Touch," and "'Tis Harry I'm Plannin' to Marry" were really studio recordings. But the rest sounded like they did come from the soundtrack, including Howard Keel's solo, "Higher Than a Hawk (Deeper Than a Well)." Unlike most other Day vehicles, this one had an all-new original score written by Paul Francis Webster and Sammy Fain and, unlike most other Day albums, this one spawned a hit single, "Secret Love," which reached number one. Hence, the album was a cut above the tie-in LPs Day recorded for earlier films, but the project was still derivative, particularly of Annie Get Your Gun, to which it was clearly inferior. To bring the disc up to the respectable length of 45 minutes, Prism adds half again as many tracks, all derived from those earlier tie-in albums for the films Romance on the High Seas, Young Man with a Horn, and My Dream Is Yours. ~ William Ruhlmann
Doris Day - TCM Greatest Classic Legends Film Collection:... (DVD)
$12.51 Super Savings
Black Roses (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$8.98 on SALE
Johnny Be Good (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$3.74 Super Savings
Maniac Cop (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$20.24 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE