Hank Crawford Portrait
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Hank Crawford ~ Tight ~ $13.48
- Released: September 3, 1991
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Milestone
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Hank Crawford (alto saxohone); David "Fathead" Newman (alto & tenor saxophones); Johnny Hamond (organ); Jimmy Ponder (guitar); Vance James (drums).
Recorded at Giant Studios, New York, New York on March 19 & 20, 1991. Includes liner notes by Tony Outhwaite.
Personnel: Hank Crawford (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Jimmy Ponder (guitar); David "Fathead" Newman (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Johnny Hammond (organ); Vance James (drums).
Liner Note Author: Tony Outhwaite.
Recording information: Giant Studios, N.Y.C., NY (03/19/1991/03/20/1991).
Photographer: Joe Rosen.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Vance James; Johnny Hammond.
With its mix of soulful ballads, blues, and soul-jazz cookers, this is a pretty accurate "portrait" of Crawford, though it doesn't add anything unexpected to his profile. Starting out with the archetypical blues shuffle "Tanya," his big fatback tone illuminating the course of "Count Every Star," or slipping some quotes into "Happy Faces," Crawford remains happily content with his idiom, with no need to change at a time when it was coming back into favor. On three tracks, Crawford is joined by the comfortably compatible David "Fathead" Newman, twice on tenor and once on alto. Johnny Hammond keeps the organ pumping along, even varying the tone quality now and then; guitarist Jimmy Ponder has a few erratic moments; and drummer Vance James is sufficiently adept at propelling the blues shuffle. Though not one of the best latter-day Crawford sessions, Portrait won't let the faithful down. ~ Richard S. Ginell
Freddie HubbardKeystone Bop, Volume 2: Friday & Saturday Night (Live) (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Duane Eddy Duane A Go Go Go / Duane Eddy Does Bob Dylan (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE