Yusef Lateef Eastern Sounds
15 copies available
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 18, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Prestige
- $1.29 on iTunes1.The Plum Blossom
- $1.29 on iTunes2.Blues for the Orient
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Ching Miau
- $1.29 on iTunes4.Don't Blame Me
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Love Theme from "Spartacus"
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Snafu
- $1.29 on iTunes7.Purple Flower
- $1.29 on iTunes8.Love Theme from "The Robe"
- $1.29 on iTunes9.The Three Faces of Balal
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Yusef Lateef (tenor saxophone, oboe, flute); Barry Harris (piano); Ernie Farrow (bass); Lex Humphries (drums).
Recorded in Englewood, New Jersey in September 1961. Originally released on Prestige (7319). Includes original liner notes by Joe Goldberg.
Personnel: Yusef Lateef (flute, oboe, tenor saxophone); Barry Harris (piano); Ernie Farrow (upright bass); Lex Humphries (drums).
This 1961 release may be significant in the vast canon of jazz recordings if only because it predates John Coltrane's forays into Eastern modal music. Coltrane didn't really explore the connection between jazz and Eastern musical styles until A LOVE SUPREME. Certainly, it is widely accepted that Coltrane's 1965 landmark albums, TRANSITION, KULU SE MAMA, and ASCENSION firmly established him as the main practitioner of Eastern influenced modal jazz. However, on Lateef's EASTERN SOUNDS, we hear the tenor man forging new territory years prior to Coltrane's experiments. Indeed, Lateef draws many fine musical parallels between the music of the Orient and American jazz on this outing.
Lateef's experiments are quite successful on this recording, even though the album's conception is somewhat stymied by his mainstream jazz roots. For example, a straight-up (albeit beautiful) version of the standard "Don't Blame Me" seems out of place with Lateef's own wacky compositions. Still, "The Plum Blossom," "Chinq Miau" and the outlandish album closer, "The Three Faces of Balal" are quite compelling, making this record a valuable and unique asset to any CD collection.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Amazing Hits (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE