- Released: August 26, 1997
- Label: Grp Records
Down Beat - 10/97, pp.46-474 stars (out of 5)
- "...there's a deep sense of balance at work here....Krall's feel for blues is natural....by banking on nuance, Krall and company make a major statement."
- 1.All Or Nothing At All
- 2.Peel Me A Grape
- 3.I Don't Know Enough About You
- 4.I Miss You So
- 5.They Can't Take That Away From Me
- 6.Lost Mind
- 7.I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance With You
- 8.You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me
- 9.Gentle Rain
- 10.How Deep Is The Ocean (How High Is The Sky)
- 11.My Love Is
- 12.Garden In The Rain
LOVE SCENES was nominated for a 1998 Grammy Award for Best Jazz Vocal Performance.
Personnel: Diana Krall (vocals, piano); Diana Krall; Christian McBride (bass guitar); Russell Malone (guitar).
Audio Mixer: Al Schmitt.
Audio Remixer: Al Schmitt.
Liner Note Author: Diana Krall.
Recording information: Avatar Studios, New York, NY.
Photographer: Rocky Schenck.
On LOVE SCENES, Diana Krall utilizes the same trio format she used on her critically acclaimed ALL FOR YOU. And it's easy to understand why: the simple instrumentation--Krall plus guitarist Russell Malone and bassist Chrisian McBride--is the perfect setting for her sultry voice and relaxed piano playing. She offers 12 delightful interpretations of well-chosen, romance-related standards.
The three musicians have a wonderful rapport (both Malone and McBride have played on previous Krall albums), and each tune exhibits an easy, effortless swing. Krall' s piano playing is sensitive and lyrical on the ballads, and right in the groove on the uptempo numbers. Malone's full, rich tone blends perfectly with Krall's piano accompaniment, and McBride's formidable bass playing punctuates the trio's every nuance on this drumless date.