Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
LOW STOCK: Only 1 copy left
|CYBER SALE:||$4.19 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$10.79 (72% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: June 3, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Milestone
CMJ - 8/4/03, p.27"...The two give each other plenty of room to solo and play unaccompanied, but they also have a nice cat-and-mouse dynamic..."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Lee Konitz (saxophone); Alan Broadbent (piano).
Recorded at The Jazz Bakery, Los Angeles, California on October 20-22, 2000.
Personnel: Lee Konitz (alto saxophone); Alan Broadbent (piano).
Audio Remixer: Phil Edwards .
Liner Note Authors: Alan Broadbent; Orrin Keepnews.
Recording information: Jazz Bakery, Los Angeles, CA (10/20/2000-10/22/2000).
Photographer: Steve Banks.
This intimate live program pairs two Lennie Tristano disciples: Lee Konitz, in his eighth decade and at the height of his powers, and the distinctive, calmly extraordinary pianist Alan Broadbent. The clarity and expressiveness of these performances from the Jazz Bakery in Los Angeles make it difficult to accept this was the duo's first time playing together. In working out how best to interact with Konitz, Broadbent found that less is more. Supporting Konitz with supple, swinging, spacious structures, he frees the saxophonist to create and explore. Liberated, Konitz gives himself over to the flow of his ideas and impulses, his sound and phrasing natural, unforced. Not that Broadbent is confined to the supporting role; he and Konitz each have considerable space for unaccompanied playing, joint extemporizing, and situations where the lead moves in subtle shifts between the two. In their transformations of familiar material, Konitz and Broadbent take a very non-bop approach to the discovery of new and unexpected patterns and points of view in repertoire conceived or extensively exploited by bop players. Their tactics pose intriguing possibilities for other pieces from the bop canon or for post-bop classics such as Miles Davis and Victor Feldman's "Joshua" or Sonny Rollins' "Blue 7." While Broadbent said it took a few sets for him and Konitz to get to know each other during their week-long run together, the luminous performances captured on this October 2000 recording suggest that any meeting between the two would be rewarding. Listeners who enjoy either of these masters will be hoping there is more where this came from. ~ Jim Todd
Ray BrownSome of My Best Friends Are...The Piano Players (CD)
$10.56 CYBER SALE
Sonny StittStitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 [Box Set] (3-CD...
$25.50 CYBER SALE
Roy EldridgeTrumpet Kings at Montreux (With Dizzy Gillespie & Clark... (CD)
$10.56 CYBER SALE
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 52,041
- UPC: 025218932929
- Shipping Weight: 0.20/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale Product Series:
- Tim Armacost Fire (CD) ~ $4.19 CYBER SALE
- Cybotron Cyber Ghetto (CD) ~ $4.19 CYBER SALE
- Cybotron Empathy (CD) ~ $4.19 CYBER SALE
- The B-Side Players Fire in the Youth (CD) ~ $4.19 CYBER SALE
- P.D.Q. Bach / Peter Schickele Classical WTWP Talkity-Talk Radio (CD) ~ $4.19 CYBER SALE
Jazz Instrument: Alto Sax Music Categories:
- Cannonball Adderley African Waltz (CD) ~ $9.99 CYBER SALE
- Cannonball Adderley The Best of The Capitol Years (CD) ~ $10.78 CYBER SALE
- Cannonball Adderley Cannonball Adderley Quintet in Chicago (Live) (CD) ~ $12.59 CYBER SALE
- Cannonball Adderley Cannonball Adderley Quintet in San Francisco [Remastered Bonus Tracks] (Live) (CD) ~ $9.99 CYBER SALE
- Cannonball Adderley Cannonball Takes Charge [Expanded] (CD) ~ $13.32 CYBER SALE