Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
LOW STOCK: Only 1 copy left
|You Save:||$9 (60% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: June 3, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Milestone
CMJ - 8/4/03, p.27"...The two give each other plenty of room to solo and play unaccompanied, but they also have a nice cat-and-mouse dynamic..."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Lee Konitz (saxophone); Alan Broadbent (piano).
Recorded at The Jazz Bakery, Los Angeles, California on October 20-22, 2000.
Personnel: Lee Konitz (alto saxophone); Alan Broadbent (piano).
Audio Remixer: Phil Edwards .
Liner Note Authors: Alan Broadbent; Orrin Keepnews.
Recording information: Jazz Bakery, Los Angeles, CA (10/20/2000-10/22/2000).
Photographer: Steve Banks.
This intimate live program pairs two Lennie Tristano disciples: Lee Konitz, in his eighth decade and at the height of his powers, and the distinctive, calmly extraordinary pianist Alan Broadbent. The clarity and expressiveness of these performances from the Jazz Bakery in Los Angeles make it difficult to accept this was the duo's first time playing together. In working out how best to interact with Konitz, Broadbent found that less is more. Supporting Konitz with supple, swinging, spacious structures, he frees the saxophonist to create and explore. Liberated, Konitz gives himself over to the flow of his ideas and impulses, his sound and phrasing natural, unforced. Not that Broadbent is confined to the supporting role; he and Konitz each have considerable space for unaccompanied playing, joint extemporizing, and situations where the lead moves in subtle shifts between the two. In their transformations of familiar material, Konitz and Broadbent take a very non-bop approach to the discovery of new and unexpected patterns and points of view in repertoire conceived or extensively exploited by bop players. Their tactics pose intriguing possibilities for other pieces from the bop canon or for post-bop classics such as Miles Davis and Victor Feldman's "Joshua" or Sonny Rollins' "Blue 7." While Broadbent said it took a few sets for him and Konitz to get to know each other during their week-long run together, the luminous performances captured on this October 2000 recording suggest that any meeting between the two would be rewarding. Listeners who enjoy either of these masters will be hoping there is more where this came from. ~ Jim Todd
Coleman HawkinsAt Ease With Coleman Hawkins [Rudy Van Gelder Remasters] (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Ray BrownSome of My Best Friends Are...The Piano Players (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Sonny StittStitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 [Box Set] (3-CD...
$21.91 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 42,900
- UPC: 025218932929
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Mozart: The Beneficient Dervish / The Impresario (CD)(4)
$5.98 on SALE
Cannonball Adderley Quintet in San Francisco [Remastered... (CD)(7)
$9.05 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Curtis Fuller Boss of The Soul-Stream Trombone (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Ornette Coleman Ornette On Tenor (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE