Philly Joe Jones Showcase
Only 5 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Philly Joe Jones ~ Blues For Dracula ~ $10.56
- by Philly Joe Jones ~ Drums Around the World: Philly Joe Jones Big Band Sounds ~ $11.75
- by Tony Williams ~ Lifetime: The Collection ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Johnny Griffin ~ The Little Giant ~ $10.56
- by Philly Joe Jones ~ Philly Joe's Beat / Philly Joe Jones & Elvin Jones Together! ~ $9.33
- Released: November 27, 1990
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: OJC
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Philly Joe Jones (piano, drums); Bill Barron (tenor saxophone); Pepper Adams (baritone saxophone); Blue Mitchell (trumpet); Julian Priester (trombone); Charles Coker, Sonny Clark (piano); Jimmy Garrison (bass).
Recorded at Reeves Sound Studios, New York, New York in November & December 1959. Originally released on Riverside (1159). Includes liner notes by Orrin Keepnews.
Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1990, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley).
This 1959 session from drummer Philly Joe Jones not only showcases his inimitable drumming skills, but also his ability to play the piano and compose music. For example, his self-penned ballad "Gwen" is performed here with great success. Not only is it a well-written tune, Jones's piano playing on the track is dynamic and harmonically advanced.
Despite Jones's versatility, his drumming is still the album's main focus. For example, on "Joe's Debut," Jones takes a very lyrical solo, implying the tune's melody at each turn, proving that drums can be colorful, melodic instruments. Further, Jones's driving snare solo on "Minor Mode" really shows off his technical acumen; he displays some very fancy stick work here. The lush ballad "I'll Never Be the Same" serves as the perfect counterpoint to the drum-set features. On this track, there is wonderful interplay between the four horn players. Moreover, trumpeter Blue Mitchell's short solo is superbly rendered. His tone is crisp and pure and his use of vibrato (on only a few choice notes) makes his phrasing resonate with great clarity.
Riverside: The Riverside Records Story (4-CD Box Set)
Out of PrintSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE