Etta Jones Hollar!
Only 4 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Etta Jones ~ Don't Go to Strangers (Rudy Van Gelder Remaster Series) ~ $8.73
- by Etta Jones ~ From the Heart ~ $17.08
- by Etta Jones ~ Lonely and Blue ~ $10.56
- by Etta Jones ~ My Buddy: Songs of Buddy Johnson ~ $15.28
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: May 15, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: OJC
Down Beat - 2/02, p.563.5 stars out of 5 - "...Her supple, translucent voice offers a sweet, refreshing quality reminiscent of Ella Fitzgerald, Nancy Wilson and even Carmen McRae..."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Etta Jones (vocals); Oliver Nelson, Jerome Richardson (tenor saxophone); Lem Winchester (vibraphone); Jimmy Neeley, Richard Wyands, Sam Bruno (piano); Wally Richardson, Kenny Burrell, Bucky Pizzarelli (guitar); Michael Mulia, George Duvivier, Ernest Hayes (bass); Rudy Lawless, Roy Haynes, Bobby Donaldson (drums).
Recorded at Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey between 1960 and 1962. Includes original release liner notes by H.G. MacGill.
Digitally remastered by Kirk Felton (2001, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Etta Jones had the spark that made each of her vocals special, though she was never acknowledged properly during a long career. Following her hit "Don't Go to Strangers," she continued to record first-rate songs. Many of her albums were unjustly out of print for decades, though Hollar! was finally reissued by Fantasy as part of their Original Jazz Classics series in 2001. Jones is backed by three separate groups on this release. Guitarist Wally Richardson provides the driving rhythm to back her swinging take of "And the Angels Sing," while vibraphonist Lem Winchester and pianist Richard Wyands support Jones in her emotional rendition of "I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)." Jones would eventually return to the brisk bop gem "Reverse the Charges" decades after this recording, but this early version is preferable, with a nice interlude by pianist Jimmy Neely. There's a bit of friendly conversation in the studio as Jones gets underway with another swinger, "Our Love Is Here to Stay," adding a boisterous tenor sax solo by Oliver Nelson. This is easily one of Etta Jones' best recordings. ~ Ken Dryden
The Poll WinnersExploring the Scene (with Shelly Manne & Ray Brown) (CD)
$9.05 Super Savings
Margie JosephMargie Joseph Makes a New Impression / Phase II [Stax] (CD)
Don't Go to Strangers (Rudy Van Gelder Remaster Series) (CD)(25)
$8.73 Super Savings
Amy's Jukebox: The Music That Inspired Amy Winehouse (CD)(7)
$11.70 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
And That Reminds Me / A Date With Della Reese (CD)(6)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE