- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: October 15, 1992
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: OJC
- 1.Soft Winds
- 2.Let Me See
- 3.Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise
- 4.It's Only A Paper Moon
- 5.Boy Meets Horn
- 6.Things Ain't What They Used To Be
- 7.Things Are Getting Better All The Time
- 8.Doncha Hear Me Callin' To Ya
Personnel: J.J. Johnson, Al Grey, Kenny Barron, Ray Brown, Mickey Roker, Dave Carey.
Recorded in November 1983.
Personnel: J.J. Johnson (trombone); Al Grey (trombone); Kenny Barron (piano, keyboards); Mickey Roker (drums); Dave Carey (percussion).
Liner Note Author: Norman Granz.
Recording information: RCA Recording Studio, New York, NY (11/28/1983/11/29/1983).
Photographer: Norman Granz.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Dave Carey ; Kenny Barron; Mickey Roker; Ray Brown .
J.J. Johnson teams up with fellow trombonist Al Grey for a variety of superior standards and obscurities in a quintet with pianist Kenny Barron, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Mickey Roker. Reissued on CD, this session has many joyful moments, and the interaction between the two very different-sounding trombonists (Grey is hot, while Johnson is cool) on such tunes as "Soft Winds," "It's Only a Paper Moon," "Boy Meets Horn," and the title cut is consistently memorable and enjoyable. Recommended. ~ Scott Yanow