Honey & The Bees
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
|You Save:||$7 (41% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Tammi Terrell ~ Come on and See Me: The Complete Solo Collection (2-CD) ~ $35.98
- Released: September 14, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Jamie / Guyden
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Honey & The Bees, Kenny Gamble, Bobby Martin, Norman Harris, Earl Young.
Includes tracks digitally remastered by Tom Moulton.
Honey & the Bees: Jean Davis, Nadine Felder, Gwendolyn Oliver, Cassandra Wooten.
Audio Remixer: Tom Moulton.
This disc has 14 of their Arctic sides (four previously unreleased), nine of which are from 1966-1969 singles. Lamentably, the liner notes do not include any dates or original release information. Although Honey & the Bees were more competent than distinctive as vocalists, the material and arrangements amount to some pretty decent Philadelphia soul from a time when the genre was starting to coalesce around the Gamble-Huff-Bell sound. What's here is not as slick or commercially successful as the Gamble-Huff-Bell blockbusters of the early and mid-'70s, which is fine, as it has an airiness that often escaped such blockbusters. The Gamble-Huff-Bell comparisons, however, are not gratuitous: Huff himself plays piano on some of the cuts, and the rhythm section includes Ron Baker, Earl Young, Bobby Eli, and Norman Harris, all of whom were present on many Philly soul smashes in later years. Honey & the Bees were versatile performers who could handle styles and songs ranging from emotional, melodic ballads ("Make You Mine") and midtempo dance tunes ("Why Do You Hurt the One Who Loves You") to harder, funkier outings betraying the influence of more progressive soul trends ("Love Addict," "Music (Makes You Want to Dance," "Baby, Do That Thing"). Fred Wesley of the JBs, who married group member Gwen Oliver, wrote the liner notes. ~ Richie Unterberger
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 23,575
- UPC: 647780400929
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE