- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: February 12, 1991
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: OJC
Down Beat - 2/92, p.413.5 Stars
- Good Plus "..Some of his finest down-home playing to be had...a stunning blend of joy and sadness.."
- 1.The Blues; That's Me!
- 2.Still King
- 3.'Round Midnight
- 4.The Galloping Latin
- 5.For Once in My Life
- 6.Every Day I Have the Blues
Personnel: Illinois Jacquet (bassoon, tenor saxophone); Illinois Jacquet; Buster Williams (bass instrument, bass guitar); Tiny Grimes (guitar); Wynton Kelly (piano); Oliver Jackson (drums).
Liner Note Author: Dan Morgenstern.
Recording information: New York, NY (09/16/1969).
Tenor saxophonist Illinois Jacquet is heard in top form throughout this quintet set with pianist Wynton Kelly, guitarist Tiny Grimes, bassist Buster Williams, and drummer Oliver Jackson. The music, which falls between swing, bop and early R&B, is generally quite exciting, especially "Still King," "Every Day I Have the Blues," and the lengthy title cut. A particular surprise is a moody version of "'Round Midnight," which features some surprisingly effective bassoon by Jacquet. This CD reissue is highly recommended. ~ Scott Yanow