Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$6 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Michael Bloomfield ~ Between the Hard Place & the Ground / Cruisin' for a Bruisin' ~ $14.72
- by Michael Bloomfield ~ From His Head to His Heart to His Hands (Box Set) (3-CD + DVD) ~ $53.70
- by Woody Herman ~ Giant Steps ~ $16.54
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: April 18, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: OJC
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Woody Herman (vocals, soprano & alto saxophones, clarinet); Sal Nistico, Frank Tiberi, Steve Lederer (tenor saxophone); Gene Smookler (baritone saxophone); Tony Klatka, Tom Harrell, Buddy Powers, Forrest Buchtel, Bill Byrne (trumpet); Bobby Burgess, Ira Nepus, Don Switzer (trombone); Alan Broadbent (acoustic & electric pianos); Mike Bloomfield (electric guitar); Alan Read (electric bass); Ed Soph (drums).
Recorded at Wally Heider Recording Studio, San Francisco, California in March 1971. Originally released on Fantasy (8414). Includes liner notes by Ralph J. Gleason.
Digitally remastered by Kirk Felton (2000, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Woody Herman (vocals, clarinet, soprano saxophone, alto saxophone); Michael Bloomfield (guitar, electric guitar); Wally Heider (recorder); Steve Lederer, Frank Tiberi, Sal Nistico (tenor saxophone); Gene Smookler (baritone saxophone); Forrest Buchtel, Buddy Powers, Bill Byrne, Tom Harrell, Tony Klatka (trumpet); Don Switzer, Bob Burgess , Ira Nepus (trombone); Alan Broadbent (piano, electric piano); Alan Read (bass guitar); Ed Soph (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Kirk Felton.
Recording information: Wally Heider Studio, San Francisco, CA (03/1971).
Photographer: Tony Lane.
Woody Herman always went out of his way to keep his band's repertoire and style modern and contemporary. Certainly there were few other swing era big-band leaders who would have welcomed the electric blues guitarist Michael Bloomfield as a guest on four selections, as Herman did for 1971's Brand New. Although not a complete success (these versions of "Since I Fell for You" and "Proud Mary" are not all that memorable), it was a noble effort. The best selections on this CD reissue are Ivory Joe Hunter's "I Almost Lost My Mind" and "After Hours." Alan Broadbent (heard throughout on electric piano) contributed five of the eight arrangements, although Nat Pierce's reworking of "After Hours" is most appealing. Other key soloists include Herman (on alto, soprano, and clarinet in addition to taking two vocals), trumpeter Tony Klatka, and Frank Tiberi on tenor. ~ Scott Yanow
Empire BrassBraggin' In Brass: Music of Duke Ellington & Others (CD)
Greatest Love Songs: 60 Ultimate Love Classics (3-CD)
$4.98 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 54,234
- UPC: 025218704427
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD)
$9.38 Super Savings
Jazz Instrument: Big Band Music Categories:
- Ambrose (Big Band) The Hottest of the Decca 'M' Series (1929-1930) (CD) ~ $15.76
Ambrose (Big Band) Legendary 1929 Sessions (CD) ~
$14.80 Super Savings
Ivie Anderson I Got It Good and That Ain't Bad! (CD) ~
$18.51 Super Savings
The Andrews Sisters Very Best Of (CD) ~
$9.58 Super Savings
Ray Anthony The Navy Show Broadcasts (CD) ~
$17.04 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE