The Guns of Navarone
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.92 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.07 (27% Off)|
- Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video
- Director's Audio Commentary
- Retrospective Documentary: Memories of Navarone
- "A Message From Carl Foreman"
- 4 Original Featurettes
- Audio: English 5.1 (Dolby Digital), Original English 2-Channel (Dolby Surround), Spanish (Mono), French (Mono)
- Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean & Thai
- Talent Files
- Theatrical Trailers
- Production Notes
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Selections
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 2 hours, 37 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 23, 2000
- Originally Released: 1961
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital Mono - French
- Dolby Digital Mono - Spanish
- Dolby Surround - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Production Interviews: Carl Foreman - Writer
- Audio Commentary: J. Lee Thompson - Director
- Documentary: MEMORIES OF NAVARONE
- GREAT GUNS
- NO VISITORS
- HONEYMOON ON THE RHODES
- TWO GIRLS ON THE TOWN
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Bonus Trailer - OLD GRINGO
- Scene Selection
- Interactive Menus
- Production Notes
- Filmographies: Cast & Crew
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Gregory Peck, David Niven & Anthony Quinn|
|Performer:||Gia Scala, Stanley Baker, Anthony Quayle, Anthony Quinn & David Niven|
|Directed by||J. Lee Thompson|
|Edited by||Alan Osbiston|
|Screenwriting by||Carl Foreman|
|Composition by||Dimitri Tiomkin|
|Produced by||Carl Foreman|
|Director of Photography:||Oswald Morris|
"...The film got an Oscar for special effects, and now you can see why once again via this wide-screen gem..."
"...[A] rip-roaring boys' own adventure..."
3 stars out of 5 -- "[I]t still oozes quality as a classily directed war movie."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Blacklisted screenwriter Carl Foreman (High Noon, The Bridge On the River Kwai) was determined to re-establish both his name and credibility after spending most of the '50s working in anonymity. To accomplish this, he decided to bring Alistair MacLean's best-selling novel, The Guns of Navarone, to the screen. Supported by an all-star cast and produced on a grand scale, the film was an enormous success, receiving seven 1961 Academy Award nominations (including Best Picture) and winning for Best Special Effects. Although Foreman achieved his goal, it was MacLean who would end up the true beneficiary; his novels became the source for many high adventure screen epics, including Ice Station Zebra and Where Eagles Dare. However, it is The Guns of Navarone that remains not only the best of the MacLean adaptations, but one of the greatest action/adventure spectacles ever produced.
- Produced at Shepperton Studios, and Associated British Studios, Elstree, UK; color by Eastmancolor; shot in CinemaScope.
- Cleo Scouloudi played the Bride and Nicholas Papakonstantinou played the Patrol Boat Captain.
- In 1993, this version was replaced by a newly-restored version.
The restored version (VHS #72123) replaces the older videocassette version, which is no longer available from Columbia TriStar Home Video.
- Available to buy in the UK (widescreen version).
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 144 ratings.
- Sales Rank: 76,415
- UPC: 043396721296
- Shipping Weight: 0.26/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking titles in the War genre:
- O.S.S. (DVD-R) ~ $14.98 on SALE
- Frontlines: The Men and the Battles - The Rise & Fall of Japan (2-DVD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Action in the North Atlantic [Thinpak] (DVD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Benghazi Desert War: The Fighting Rats of Tobruk / Desert Victory (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- The Siege of Firebase Gloria (DVD-R) ~ $14.99 on SALE
Top ranking DVD:
- Blood of Ghastly Horror (Deluxe Collector's Edition) (DVD) ~ $1.58 on SALE
- Suspense - Lost Episodes Collection 3 (4-DVD) ~ $6.38 on SALE
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Cultoons! Rare, Lost and Strange Cartoons! Ads and Oddities (DVD) ~ $1.58 on SALE
- Burt Reynolds Comedy Triple Feature: Gator / Breaking In / Fuzz (2-DVD) ~ $1.58 on SALE
- Brainiac (El Baron del Terror) (Spanish, Subtitled in English) [Rare & Out-of-Print] (DVD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.