Joe Henderson In 'n Out [Bonus Track]
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$7.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.42 (31% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 10, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Blue Note Records
Down Beat - 12/94, p.605 Stars - Excellent - "...Henderson has total control over a sleek yet burly tone through spontaneous elaboration, fragmentation, and exhortation; he bespeaks vast rhythmic range and deep internal drive..."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1284 stars out of 5 - "[S]uch was the power and profundity of Joe's music in this period it's still essential..."
- 1.In 'N Out
- 4.Short Story
- 5.Brown's Town
- 6.In 'N Out - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
Personnel: Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone); Joe Henderson; Richard Davis (double bass); Kenny Dorham (trumpet); McCoy Tyner (piano); Elvin Jones (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Rudy Van Gelder.
Liner Note Authors: Don Heckman; Bob Blumenthal.
Recording information: Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (04/10/1964).
Photographer: Francis Wolff.
This progressive session from Joe Henderson is a quintessential mid-'60s Blue Note disc. Although a great deal of attention has been placed on the significance of the work of Miles Davis and John Coltrane at that time, Henderson was one of the leaders in the '60s scene that forged new ground into adventurous areas of jazz. The saxophonist plays sharply with a highly rhythmic style that swings and strides through the modally oriented material of stellar tracks like the blazing title cut, "Punjab," and the funky mambo "Short Story." Joining Henderson on the session are Kenny Dorham, McCoy Tyner, Richard Davis, and Elvin Jones, the last of whom drives the proceedings like a madman in one of his best non-Coltrane performances. Also included is "Serenity," one of Henderson's best-crafted melodies and an additional take of the dynamic title track.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE