Coleman Hawkins With The Red Garland Trio
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: February 8, 1990
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: OJC
Down Beat - 19604 Stars - Very Good - "..we hear classic Hawkins: big-toned, with the easy assurance and the positive, swinging phrasing that have made him top man on tenor whenever he felt like exerting himself...one of his most consistently rewarding recording efforts in a long time.."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Red Garland (piano); Doug Watkins (bass); Charles "Specs" Wright (drums).
Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on August 12, 1959. Originally released on Prestige/Swingville (2001). Includes liner notes by Bob Snead.
Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1989, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Long before joining Miles Davis in 1955, Red Garland was regularly employed by Coleman Hawkins, who had been a symbol of greatness in jazz since the mid-'20s. This 1959 date constitutes a happy reunion.
On this, probably his best session for Swingville, Hawk tries his hand keeping up with a then-modern rhythm section, accomplishing this with great panache. His solos on WITH THE RED GARLAND TRIO are bop-tinged and somewhat experimental, though he retains the thick, coarse sound that was his trademark. Garland and his trio play impeccably here, with drummer Specs Wright in particular contributing a simply stunning series of four bar breaks on "It's a Blue World." Other highlights include the smoky ballad, "I Want To Be Loved," and the lengthy, ever-evolving "Bean's Blues."
Coleman HawkinsAt Ease With Coleman Hawkins [Rudy Van Gelder Remasters] (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
The Poll WinnersExploring the Scene (with Shelly Manne & Ray Brown) (CD)
$9.05 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE