The Bridge on the River Kwai
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.92 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.07 (27% Off)|
- Widescreen Presentation
- Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video
- Audio: English 5.1 (Dolby Digital) and 2-Channel (Dolby Surround) French, Spanish, Portuguese
- Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean & Thai
- Interactive and Animated Menus
- Scene Selections with Motion
- Theatrical Trailers
- Talent Files
- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 21, 2000
- Originally Released: 1957
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
- THE GUNS OF NAVARONE
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
- David Lean - Director
- Alec Guinness - Star
- William Holden - Star
- Jack Hawkins - Star
- Sessue Hayakawa - Star
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||William Holden & Alec Guinness|
|Performer:||Jack Hawkins, Sessue Hayakawa, James Donald, Geoffrey Horne, André Morell, Peter Williams, Percy Herbert, Harold Goodwin, Ann Sears, K. Katsumoto & Henry Okawa|
|Directed by||David Lean|
|Edited by||Peter Taylor|
|Screenwriting by||Michael Henry Wilson & Carl Foreman|
|Screenplay by||Calder Willingham|
|Composition by||Malcolm Arnold|
|Produced by||Sam Spiegel|
|Director of Photography:||Jack Hildyard|
"...Lean handles the climax with precision and suspense..."
"...[A] masterpiece...purely enjoyable..."
"...[A] masterpiece....That rare film about something as seemingly black-and-white as World War II that is colored entirely in shades of gray, and the better for it..."
"...It's certainly weathered well thanks to its novel and ingenious approach to presenting multiple perspectives of the Second World War..."
"...[T]wo compelling stories jelled into one sprawling action film..."
5 stars out of 5 -- "[I]ts combination of sly satire, poignancy and sheer excitement is still astonishing."
"The absence of button-pushing triumphalism is striking, as indeed is the long game played by Lean's direction."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Spectacularly produced, The Bridge On the River Kwai captured the imagination of the public and won seven 1957 Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Actor (Alec Guinness) and Best Director. Even its theme song, an old WWI whistling tune, the "Colonel Bogey March," became a massive worldwide hit. The Bridge On the River Kwai continues today as one of the most memorable cinematic experiences of all time.
- THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1997.
- Sri Lanka, then Ceylon, stood in for Burma (now known as Myanmar).
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 272 ratings.
A long, well acted Epic journey into the workings of men's minds and the things that are important to them in a time of stress. British push for pride in their work, American belief in reality and self preservation, and the Japanese superior view of dominence over lesser beings.
Excellent digital transfer to video. Remixed sound track available in 5.1 or Dolby stereo. I don't have 5.1 but enjoyed the stereo sound track. Not much in way of "extras," but watching this movie in a transfer which captured the saturation of Technicolor was rewarding.
Kwai captured 7 Academy Awards and the quality of this David Lean film shows in every scene with fine performances, camerawork, editiing and an excellent adaptation of Pierre Boulle's best selling novel.
- Sales Rank: 30,436
- UPC: 043396052789
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking DVD:
- Blood of Ghastly Horror (Deluxe Collector's Edition) (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Pterodactyl Woman From Beverly Hills (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Brides of Blood (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Burt Reynolds Comedy Triple Feature: Gator / Breaking In / Fuzz (2-DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.