Erroll Garner Magician / Gershwin and Kern
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: February 28, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Telarc
Down Beat - 9/95, p.384 Stars - Very Good - "...On some numbers he heaps on climbing superstructures of chords through which one may glimpse some cubist abstraction of the tune, then he cuts to a streamlined single note line that swings like mad. It's like a big band breaking for a solo..."
- 1.Close to You
- 2.It Gets Better Every Time
- 3.Someone to Watch over Me
- 4.Night Wind
- 5.One Good Turn
- 6.Watch What Happens
- 8.I Only Have Eyes for You
- 9.Mucho Gusto
- 10.Strike up the Band
- 11.Love Walked In
- 12.I Got Rhythm
- 13.Someone to Watch over Me
- 14.A Foggy Day
- 15.Nice Work If You Can Get It
- 16.Lovely to Look At
- 17.Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man
- 18.Only Make Believe
- 19.Ol' Man River
- 20.Dearly Beloved
- 21.Why Do I Love You?
- 22.A Fine Romance
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
2 LPs on 1 CD: MAGICIAN (1974)/GERSHWIN AND KERN (1976).
Includes liner notes by Donald Elfman and Martha Glaser.
Digitally remastered by Allan Tucker.
Personnel: Erroll Garner (piano); Norman Gold (organ); Bob Cranshaw (acoustic & electric basses); Jose Mangual (congas); Jackie Williams (tambourine); Grady Tate (percussion).
GERSHWIN AND KERN:
Personnel: Errol Garner (piano); Eddie Calhoun, Charles "Ike" Isaacs (bass); Kelly Martin, Jimmy Smith (drums); Jose Mangual (congas).
Two of Errol Garner's last albums, Magician and Gershwin and Kern, are reissued on this single CD. The pianist, heading trios or quartets, is in typically whimsical and hard-swinging form; he never did decline on record. The former session includes several of his originals plus versions of "Close to You" and "Watch What Happens" that manage to uplift those pop tunes; the latter date has consistently superior material. Garner's very spontaneous playing is as usual both unpredictable and quite accessible and these unedited performances were all first takes. No one ever really sounded like Erroll Garner and this highly enjoyable set of formerly rare material gives one a good example of his magical music. ~ Scott Yanow
Erroll GarnerNow Playing: A Night at the Movies / Up in Erroll's Room
$17.05 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
The Best of Errol's late recordings Music Lover: James DeForest from GREENVILLE, NY US -- November, 9, 2012
This two album release is, in my opinion, his best two recordings of his late period.
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Bob Wills Sings & Plays/In Concert (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE