Erroll Garner Close-Up in Swing / A New Kind of Love
|You Save:||$1 (10% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: July 29, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Telarc
- 1.You Do Something to Me
- 2.My Silent Love
- 3.All of Me
- 4.No More Shadows
- 5.St. Louis Blues
- 6.Some of These Days
- 7.I'm in the Mood for Love
- 8.Papa Grande, El
- 9.The Best Things in Life Are Free
- 10.Back in Your Own Backyard
- 11.You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me
- 13.Fashion Interlude
- 14.Steve's Song
- 15.Paris Mist - (Bossa Nova)
- 17.Theme from a New Kind of Love (All Yours)
- 18.In the Park in Paree
- 19.Paris Mist - (Waltz-Swing)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
2 LPs on 1 CD: CLOSEUP IN SWING (1961)/A NEW KIND OF LOVE (1963).
Compilation producer: Martha Glaser.
Includes liner notes by Martha Glaser.
Digitally remastered by Allan Tucker.
CLOSE UP SWING:
Personnel: Erroll Garner (piano); Eddie Calhoun (bass); Kelly Martin (drums).
Producer: Martha Glaser.
Recorded in New York, New York in July and August 1961.
A NEW KIND OF LOVE:
Personnel includes: Erroll Garner (piano); Leith Stevens (conductor); Carroll "Cappy" Lewis (trumpet); Dick Nash, Dick Noel, George Roberts, Bob Enevoldes (trombone); Ted Hash, Gene Cipriano, Harry Klee, Ronnie Lang, Charles Gentry, William "Buddy" Collette (woodwinds); Barney Kessel (guitar); Keith "Red" Mitchell (bass); Larry Bunker, Irving Cottler, Alvin Stoller (drums, percussion).
Producer: Leith Stevens.
Recorded in Los Angeles, California in February 1963.
Personnel: Erroll Garner (piano); Barney Kessel (guitar); Chuck Gentry, Ted Hash, Gene Cipriano, Harry Klee, Ronnie Lang, Buddy Collette (woodwinds); Carroll Lewis (trumpet); Dick Noel, Dick Nash , George Roberts , Bob Enevoldsen (trombone); Larry Bunker, Alvin Stoller, Irving Cottler (drums, percussion); Kelly Martin (drums).
Liner Note Author: Martha Glaser.
Recording information: Los Angeles, CA (07/1961-02/1963); New York, NY (07/1961-02/1963).
Photographer: David Redfern.
Two former LPs were reissued in full on this single CD. The earlier date features pianist Erroll Garner in typically brilliant and witty form with his 1961 trio, which also included bassist Eddie Calhoun and drummer Kelly Martin. Whether it be a sly "My Silent Love," "All of Me," or a joyful "Back In Your Own Backyard," Garner is heard throughout in his prime. The later date is a bit more unusual, for the pianist improvises on ten themes that would be used in the Paul Newman film A New Kind of Love. Joined by a big band and string orchestra conducted by Leith Stevens, Garner, who never learned to read or write music, contributed several original themes to the score (a few of which are quite catchy) in addition to jamming on such tunes as "You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me," "Louise," and "Mimi." On both former albums, the overall results are quite memorable, which is not a surprise, for Erroll Garner always seemed incapable of playing an uninspired or indifferent solo. ~ Scott Yanow
Erroll GarnerNow Playing: A Night at the Movies / Up in Erroll's Room
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE