Cabin in the Sky
Warner Bros. DVD Clearance Sale (series)
- Commentary by Evangela and Eva Anderson (Wife and Daughter of Eddie Anderson), Fayard Nicholas, and Black Cultural Scholars Todd Boyd and Drew Casper
- Audio-Only Bonus: Louis Armstrong "Ain't It the Truth" Outtake
- Theatrical Trailer
- Subtitles in English, French & Spanish
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 38 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: January 10, 2006
- Originally Released: 1943
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary
- Featurette: "Pete Smith Specialty Short Studio Visit"
- Interview Excerpts - Lena Horne - Star
- Additional Audio Material: Louis Armstrong "Ain't It The Truth" Outake
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Ethel Waters, Eddie Anderson & Lena Horne|
|Performer:||Louis Armstrong, Rex Ingram, Kenneth Spencer, Ford L. Washington & John W. Sublett|
|Directed by||Vincente Minnelli|
|Edited by||Harold F. Kress|
|Music by||Harold Arlen, E.Y. Harburg, Vernon Duke, John Latouche & Ted Fetter|
|Screenwriting by||Joseph Schrank|
|Composition by||Roger Edens|
|Art Direction by||Cedric Gibbons & Leonid Vasian|
|Produced by||Arthur Freed|
|Director of Photography:||Sidney Wagner|
"[With] inspired direction from Vincente Minnelli...and an engaging and more-multifaceted-than-usual turn by Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Debuting movie director Vincente Minnelli (An American in Paris, Gigi) and stars Ethel Waters, Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, Lena Horne, Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington are more than a match for the devil in this musical treasure. With a soundtrack of dazzling standards including "Taking a Chance on Love" and "Happiness is a Thing Called Joe," Cabin in the Sky is a joyous classic.
- In 1940 George Balanchine directed the Vernon Duke-Lynn Root Broadway musical "Cabin in the Sky." He collaborated with Katherine Dunham on the choreography for the all-black cast. The play featured Dunham's company in the dance numbers. The choreographic style was a mix of classical ballet, modern dance, and Afro-Caribbean folkdance.
- The film's cast includes: Butterfly McQueen, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Mantan Moreland, Willie Best, Ernest Whitman, Nick Stewart, Ruby Dandridge (mother of Dorothy), Oscar Polk, Kenneth Spencer, Ford Lee "Buck" Washington and John "Bubbles" Sublett.
- The film is based on the hit Broadway musical.
- Feature film debut for Vincente Minnelli.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 72 ratings.
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.