Pete Fountain Pete Fountain Presents the Best of Dixieland
|You Save:||$1.10 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: January 23, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Polygram Records
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Mahogany Hall Stomp
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Tin Roof Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes3.My Inspiration
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Bye-Bye, Bill Bailey
- $0.99 on iTunes5.High Society
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Struttin' With Some Barbecue
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Dixie Jubilee
- $0.99 on iTunes8.South Rampart Street Parade
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Put on Your Old Grey Bonnet
- $0.99 on iTunes10.The Second Line
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Basin Street Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes12.The Darktown Strutters' Ball
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Marching 'Round the Mountain
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Over the Waves
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Careless Love
- $0.99 on iTunes16.Walking Through New Orleans
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Sugar Bowl Parade
- $0.99 on iTunes18.Farewell Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes19.Washington and Lee Swing
- $0.99 on iTunes20.The Mardi Gras Walking Club
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Pete Fountain (clarinet); Bud Dant (conductor); Eddie Miller (tenor saxophone); Charlie Teagarden, George Girard, Jackie Coon (trumpet); Santo Pecora (trombone, drums); Joe Rotis, Moe Schneider (trombone); George Roberts (bass trombone); Phil Stephens (tuba); Armand Hug, Roy Zimmerman, Stan Wrightsman (piano); Bobby Gibbons (guitar, banjo); Morty Corb, Bunny Franks, John Sinac (bass); Jack Sperling (drums, cymbals, percussion); Charlie Duke (drums); Godfrey Hirsch (field drum, percussion); Paul Barbarin (bass drum, percussion).
Producers include: Bud Dant, Norman Granz.
Compilation producer: Bryan Koniarz.
Recorded between 1950 and 1968. Includes liner notes by Pete Fountain and Will Friedwald.
Digitally remastered by Kevin Reeves (Universal Music Studios-East).
Personnel: Pete Fountain (clarinet); Bobby Gibbons (guitar, banjo); Eddie Miller, Eddie Miller & His Orchestra (tenor saxophone); George Girard, Jackie Coon, Charlie Teagarden (trumpet); Santo Pecora (trombone, drums); Dick Noel, Elmer "Moe" Schneider, Joe Rotis, Bill Schaeffer, Lew McCreary (trombone); George Roberts (bass trombone); Phil Stephens (tuba); John Propst, Stanley Wrightsman, Roy Zimmerman, Armand Hug (piano); Jack Sperling (drums, snare drum, cymbals, percussion); Godfrey Hirsch, Nick Fatool, Paul Barbarin (drums, percussion).
Liner Note Authors: Pete Fountain; Will Friedwald.
Recording information: Chicago, IL (06/??/1950-07/16/1968); Hollywood, CA (06/??/1950-07/16/1968); New Orleans, LA (06/??/1950-07/16/1968).
Arrangers: Heine Beau; Don Bagley; Matty Matlock; Charles Bud Dant.
There are relatively few of Pete Fountain's early-'60s Coral recordings available on CD, which is a pity because those rank with the finest work of the New Orleans clarinetist's career. This sampler in a series presented by Fountain has 20 selections in all. A dozen cuts comprise the complete reissue of the 1963 album South Rampart Street Parade, an unusual date in which Fountain, trumpeter Jackie Coon, trombonist Moe Schneider, tuba, banjo, and bass are joined by four drummers who each focus on specific parts of a drum set in order to sound like a New Orleans parade band. The results are naturally quite rhythmic and fun. In addition, Fountain is featured on seven earlier tracks, including three numbers with trumpeter George Girard and four in an octet with trumpeter Charlie Teagarden and tenor saxophonist Eddie Miller. The only weak number is the final selection, a 1968 version of "Walking Through New Orleans," in which Fountain is backed by insipid background singers, but that is the only minus to this rewarding set of high-quality Dixieland. ~ Scott Yanow
Complete Pop Instrumental Hits of the Sixties, Volume 1:... (CD)
$29.59 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Amazing Hits (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE