Ella Fitzgerald Ella A Nice (Live)
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 1, 1991
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: OJC
- 1.Night And Day
- 2.The Many Faces Of Cole Porter Medley: Get Out Of Town / Easy To Love / You Do Something To Me
- 3.The Ballad Medley: Body And Soul / The Man I Love / Porgy
- 4.The Bossa Scene Medley: The Girl From Ipanema / Fly Me To The Moon / O Nosso Amor (Carnival Samba) / Cielito Lindo / Madalena / Agua De Beber :: Water To Drink
- 6.They Can't Take That Away From Me
- 7.Aspects Of Duke Medley: Mood Indigo / Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me / It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
- 9.St. Louis Blues
- 10.Close To You
- 11.Put A Little Love In Your Heart
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Ella Fitzgerald, Tommy Flanagan, Frank De La Rosa, Ed Thigpen.
Originally released on Pablo (2308-234).
Personnel: Ella Fitzgerald (vocals); Tommy Flanagan (piano); Ed Thigpen (drums).
Liner Note Author: Alain Tercinet.
Recording information: Theatre De Verdure, Nice, France (07/21/1971); Th‚ƒtre De Verdure, Nice, France (07/21/1971).
Unknown Contributor Role: Frank DeLaRosa.
A 1971 live recording, from when Ella Fitzgerald was still at the peak of her vocal powers, Ella … Nice isn't one of the vocalist's all-time greatest live recordings, but it's a very nice set placing her in the company in which she felt most comfortable, a simple piano/bass/drums trio led by her longtime musical partner, Tommy Flanagan. Most of the set list's time is taken up by themed medleys such as "Aspects of Duke," "The Bossa Scene," and "The Many Faces of Cole Porter" that are perfectly nice but, as medleys tend to be, a little disappointing. One would rather hear Ella work her magic on the entirety of "The Girl From Ipanema" or "Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me" than be teased with a verse and chorus. On the other hand, the opening "Night and Day" is simply outstanding. Opening slowly with an extended vamp by Flanagan and bassist Frank DeLaRosa, the song settles gracefully into a mellow groove, with Ella's patented scat solo a marvel of melodic improvisation. Though little in the following ten tracks reaches those heights (this was toward the end of that phase when Ella was unwisely covering pop hits of the day, and the set includes her takes on "Something" and "Put a Little Love in Your Heart," not to mention the actually entirely appropriate and well-done "Close to You"), Ella … Nice is an entirely pleasant diversion. ~ Stewart Mason
Greatest Love Songs: 60 Ultimate Love Classics (3-CD)
$4.98 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$6.74 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE