- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: April 27, 1999
- Label: Pablo
- 1.Crazy Rhythm
- 2.Medley: This Guy's in Love with You / I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write: This Guy's In Love With You / I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter
- 3.Open Your Window
- 4.Satin Doll
- 5.Spinning Wheel
- 6.As Time Goes By
- 7.You'd Better Love Me
- 8.I'll Never Fall in Love Again
- 9.Hello, Young Lovers
- 10.Medley: Concentrate on You / You Go to My Head: I Concentrate On You / You Go To My Head
- 11.The Girl from Ipanema
- 13.Dancing in the Dark
- 14.Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head
- 15.The Lady Is a Tramp
- 17.You'll Have to Swing It (Mr. Paganini)
- 18.Mack the Knife
Personnel: Ella Fitzgerald (vocals); Tommy Flanagan (piano); Frank De La Rosa (bass); Ed Thigpen (drums).
Reissue producer: Eric Miller
Recorded live in Budapest, Hungary on May 20, 1970. Includes liner notes by Joe Goldberg.
Digitally remastered by Kirk Felton (1999, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Recording information: Budapest, Hungary (05/20/1970).
Not many jazz singers played Eastern Europe during the time of the Iron Curtain, but jazz records were nevertheless a treasured underground commodity in Communist countries. This concert from May 20, 1970 is atypical only in its location, however. Fitzgerald is backed by her usual road trio of the era--pianist Tommy Flanagan, bassist Frank de la Rosa, and drummer Ed Thigpen--and performs a fairly standard repertoire. Highlights include a fairly breathtaking scat solo in the opening "Crazy Rhythm," a smoky "As Time Goes By," and fine versions of several pop hits of the era, including a slinky take on Bacharach and David's "This Girl's in Love With You." The sound is clear and warm, and the audience certainly sounds properly appreciative! A fine concert document.