Ella Fitzgerald Best of The Concert Years: Trios & Quartets From The Great Jazz At The Philharmonic Concerts (Live)
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Ella Fitzgerald ~ Twelve Nights In Hollywood, Volumes 1-2 (2-CD) ~ $17.98
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: July 29, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Pablo
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Night And Day
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Little White Lies
- $0.69 on iTunes3.Body And Soul
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Why Don't You Do Right?
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Oh Lady, Be Good
- $0.99 on iTunes6.I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
- $0.99 on iTunes7.How High The Moon
- $0.99 on iTunes8.My Funny Valentine
- $0.99 on iTunes9.It's Only A Paper Moon
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Day Dream
- $0.99 on iTunes11.If I Could Be With You
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Willow Weep For Me
- $1.29 on iTunes14.All Of Me
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Blue Moon
- $0.99 on iTunes16.They Can't Take That Away From Me
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Round Midnight
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Ella Fitzgerald (vocals); Paul Smith, Raymond Tunia, Tommy Flanagan, Jimmy Jones (piano); Herb Ellis (guitar); Bob Cranshaw, Keter Bates, Ray Brown (bass); Sam Woodyard, Bobby Durham, Ed Thigpen, J.C. Heard (drums).
Recorded live at Nichigeki Theatre, Yoyogi National Stadium, Tokyo, Japan; Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica, California; Carnegie Hall, New York, New York between 1953 & 1983. Includes liner notes by Andrew Velez.
Personnel: Ella Fitzgerald (vocals); Herb Ellis (guitar); Ray Tunia, Jimmy Jones , Paul Smith , Tommy Flanagan (piano); Ed Thigpen, J.C. Heard , Sam Woodyard, Bobby Durham (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Kirk Felton.
Liner Note Author: Andrew Velez.
Recording information: New York, NY (11/18/1953-10/17/1983); Santa Monica, CA (11/18/1953-10/17/1983); Tokyo, Japan (11/18/1953-10/17/1983).
Here is an intelligently sequenced compilation covering recordings that the great jazz singer made over a 30-year span for Norman Granz. Instead of the expected hodgepodge of tracks frantically jumping around from one concert to another, Pablo's Fantasy custodians wrap up things in four extended sequences, one from each decade. First are a pair of numbers in the acoustically suspect Santa Monica Civic Auditorium circa 1972 ("Night and Day," "Little White Lies"), where Fitzgerald has a wobble in her voice but never stops swinging for a second with the Tommy Flanagan Trio. Then it doubles back to a JATP gig in Tokyo in 1953, and a younger, smoother, almost bel canto Fitzgerald -- then still under contract to pop-minded Decca -- emerges in "Body and Soul" and "My Funny Valentine." But the swinging, joyful Fitzgerald isn't far away in "Why Don't You Do Right?" and the virtuosic scat display on "Oh Lady, Be Good" (she even does a deadly accurate impression of humming bassist Slam Stewart). With the Jimmy Jones Trio -- anchored by Duke Ellington's unstoppably swinging drummer Sam Woodyard -- Fitzgerald visits Carnegie Hall in 1967, skipping playfully through "It's Only a Paper Moon" and "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea," while a moody vocalise treatment of Billy Strayhorn's "Day Dream" wipes everyone out. Finally it's Fitzgerald back in Tokyo in 1983 with her regular Paul Smith Trio and what a difference 30 years makes; the voice is deeper, less flexible, and fraying at the end of phrases. Unaltered, though, is the sheer joy of singing that is sensed in an exuberantly scatted "All of Me." As a single-disc summary of Fitzgerald's work fronting intimate chamber groups in concert, this is a good bet. ~ Richard S. Ginell
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
And That Reminds Me / A Date With Della Reese (CD) TOP 100 Bestseller
$2.98 on SALE
At Home With The Barry Sisters / Side By Side (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Danny & The Juniors Greatest Hits (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Original Gospel Harmonettes Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE