Ella Fitzgerald Ken Burns Jazz
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.44 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.54 (21% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: November 7, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Polygram Records
- 1.A-Tisket, A-Tasket
- 2.Vote For Mr. Rhythm
- 3.Betcha Nickel
- 4.Flying Home
- 5.Nice Work If You Can Get It
- 6.Smooth Sailing
- 7.Lullaby of Birdland
- 8.Night and Day
- 9.Let's Call the Whole Thing Off
- 10.Sophisticated Lady
- 11.Oh, Lady Be Good!
- 12.Blue Skies
- 13.Mack the Knife
- 14.How High the Moon
- 15.Blues in the Night
- 16.Mr. Paganini, (You'll Have to Swing It)
- 17.A Night in Tunisia
- 18.Shiny Stockings
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Ella Fitzgerald (vocals); Billy May, Quincy Jones (conductor); Louis Armstrong (vocals); Bud Shank (alto saxophone, flute); Louis Jordan, Sonny Stitt, Benny Carter (alto saxophone); Ben Webster, Stan Getz, Coleman Hawkins, Illinois Jacquet, Flip Phillips, Lester Young, Frank Foster (tenor saxophone); Maurio Bauza, Harry "Sweets" Edison, Maynard Ferguson, Roy Eldridge (trumpet); J.J. Johnson, Urbie Green (trombone); Juan Tizol (valve trombone); Hank Jones, Oscar Peterson, Lou Levy, Count Basie (piano); Barney Kessel, Herb Ellis, Jim Hall (guitar); Joe Mondragon, Ray Brown (bass); Chick Webb, Alvin Stoller, Louis Bellson, Connie Kay, Stan Levey (drums); Ray Charles Singers (background vocals).
Compilation producers: Richard Seidel, Ben Young.
Recorded between 1936 and 1963. Includes liner notes by Phil Bailey.
Digitally remastered by Kevin Reeves (Universal Mastering Studios-East).
This is part of the Verve Records Ken Burns JAZZ series.
With cooperation from the Verve and Columbia Legacy catalogs, the Ken Burns Jazz series on CD individually spotlights the musical excellence of 22 jazz originators whose careers and influence are explored in Burns' PBS documentary Jazz. It's quite a stretch to compile the roughly seven-decade career of Ella Fitzgerald in 18 tracks, though this collection does an admirable job. The highlights start in 1938 with the Chick Webb Orchestra on "A-Tisket A-Tasket" and "Vote for Mr. Rhythm," and continue with one track from the '40s ("Flying Home") and eight tracks from the '50s (including her essential interpretations from the great American songbook and a duet with Louis Armstrong). The disc concludes with highlights from the early '60s, including "Mack the Knife," "How High the Moon," and "Shiny Stockings," a Count Basie date on Verve. While it's impossible to sum up the history of Ella on a single disc, the highlights on Ken Burns Jazz should make the novice listener interested enough to continue searching out more material. Taken in that context, this compilation performs its function; however, it contains nothing for aficionados. ~ Al Campbell
Greatest Love Songs: 60 Ultimate Love Classics (3-CD)
$4.98 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD)
$8.82 Super Savings
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company [Repertoire] (CD)
$11.54 Super Savings
Pop Vocal: Classic Music Categories:
- Edie Adams There's So Much More (CD) ~ $7.80
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $7.78 CYBER SALE
- The Ames Brothers Hello Italy! / Knees Up! Mother Brown (And Other Funny Songs) (CD) ~ $8.78 CYBER SALE
- The Ames Brothers They, They, They Are the Ones (2-CD) ~ $17.99 CYBER SALE
- The Ames Brothers Together (2-CD) ~ $17.99 CYBER SALE
Top ranking titles in the Vocals genre:
- Bobby Vinton Mr. Lonely / Country Boy (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Mel Torme Love Songs (CD) ~ 01¢ CYBER SALE
- Sylvia Syms Columbia Years (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Richard Rodgers' No Strings: An After Theatre Version (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Nat "King" Cole / Natalie Cole Back 2 Back Vocal Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE