- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: November 7, 2006
- Label: Riverside
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Blue In Green
- 2.Waltz For Debby
- 3.Isn't It Romantic
- 4.My Man's Gone Now
- 5.How My Heart Sings
- 7.Re: Person I Knew
- 8.Speak Low
- 10.Peace Piece
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Dat Dere - (with Bobby Timmons)
- 2.Airegin - (with Wes Montgomery)
- 3.Soft Winds - (with Chet Baker)
- 4.My Foolish Heart - (with Bill Evans Trio)
- 5.Desafinado - (with Charlie Byrd)
- 6.Thermo - (with Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers)
- 7.Bemsha Swing - (with Thelonious Monk)
- 8.Bohemia After Dark - (with Cannonball Adderley Quintet)
Contains a bonus disc featuring tracks from other Riverside artists.
Personnel: Bill Evans (piano); Bill Evans ; Jim Hall (guitar); Freddie Hubbard (trumpet); Larry Bunker, Paul Motian, Philly Joe Jones (drums).
Audio Remasterers: Joe Tarantino; Kirk Felton.
Liner Note Author: Chris Albertson.
Recording information: Hollywood, CA; New York, NY; Nola Penthouse Studio, New York, NY; Reeves Sound Studios, New York, NY; Sound Makers, New York, NY; The Village Vanguard, New York, NY.
This concise, well-selected Bill Evans sampler draws from the beloved jazz pianist's lauded late-1950s/early-'60s tenure on the Riverside label. While all of the tracks here are outstanding examples of Evans's deft, delicate, and inventive playing, the songs performed with drummer Paul Motian and bassist Scott LaFaro (who died in a car crash in '61) are particularly remarkable, as revealed on a beautiful rendition of "Blue in Green" and a breezy version of "Israel," among others. This 2006 compilation also includes a bonus disc that features Riverside recordings by Chet Baker, Thelonious Monk, and other jazz luminaries of the era.