Duke Ellington Second Sacred Concert (Live)
Only 6 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: July 9, 1990
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Prestige
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Praise God
- 2.Supreme Being
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Heaven
- 4.Something 'Bout Believing
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Almighty God
- 6.Shepherd, The (Who Watches over the Flock)
- 7.It's Freedom
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Meditation
- $0.99 on iTunes9.The Biggest and Busiest Intersection
- $1.29 on iTunes10.T.G.T.T. (Too Good to Title)
- 11.Praise God and Dance
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Alice Babs, Devonne Gardner, Trish Turner, Roscoe Gill (vocals); Johnny Hodges, Harry Carney, Russell Procope, Paul Gonsalves, Jimmy Hamilton (reeds); Cat Anderson, Cootie Williams, Mercer Ellington, Herbie Jones, Money Johnson (trumpet); Lawrence Brown, Buster Cooper, Bennie Green (trombone); Chuck Connors (bass trombone); Jeff Castleman (bass); Sam Woodyard, Steve Little (drums); The A.M.E. Mother Zion Church Choir, The Choirs Of St. Hilda's and St. Hugh's School, Central Connecticut State College Singers, The Frank Parker Singers (background vocals).
Includes liner notes by Duke Ellington.
"Don't Get Down On Your Knees To Pray Until You Have Forgiven Everyone" and "Father Forgive", have been deleted from the CD release of the 2 LP set.
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Trish Turner, Alice Babs (vocals); Harry Carney, Johnny Hodges (reeds, saxophone); Russell Procope (reeds, alto saxophone); Paul Gonsalves (reeds, tenor saxophone); Jimmy Hamilton (reeds); Cootie Williams, Herb Jones, Money Johnson, Mercer Ellington, Cat Anderson (trumpet); Lawrence Brown , Bennie Green , Buster Cooper (trombone); Chuck Connors (bass trombone); Sam Woodyard, Steve Little (drums).
Unknown Contributor Roles: Jeff Castleman; Alice Babs; Mercer Ellington; Buster Cooper.
A unique and intriguing project, Ellington performed this concert in 1968 as a sequel to a series which toured over 50 churches and cathedrals in the United States some years before. This ambitious and allegorical piece might be described as a kind of jazz Mass. Musical themes signifying the creation of the world, various biblical scenes, and hymns to God's glory are interspersed with long recitatives by the choir about the presence of the Supreme Being, the tale of the apple, and the importance of belief, love and freedom.
The music, while eons removed from his 1920s and '30s jams, is still distinctively Ellington, with decorative, richly textured arrangements and contributions from famous sidemen like Jimmy Hamilton, Cootie Williams and Johnny Hodges. Fans of Duke's secular rave-ups should be forewarned, however: this material is heavily religious, and the concert is more reminiscent of a night in the Vatican than a night at the Cotton Club. Nevertheless, SECOND SACRED CONCERT is yet another of Ellington's always-interesting musical experiments, one that combines his compelling message of devotion with his musical genius.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (Music from the Original... (CD)
$8.72 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Danny & The Juniors Greatest Hits (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Impressions Singles Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Original Gospel Harmonettes Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE