The Crusaders Southern Comfort
Only 4 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.61 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.38 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 25, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: MCA
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Stomp and Buck Dance
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Greasy Spoon
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Get on the Soul Ship (It's Sailing)
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Super-Stuff
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Double Bubble
- $0.99 on iTunes6.The Well's Gone Dry
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Southern Comfort
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Time Bomb
- $0.99 on iTunes9.When There's Love Around
- 10.Lilies of the Nile
- 11.Whispering Pines
- 12.Ballad For Joe, A (Louis)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
2 LPs on 1 CD.
The Crusaders: Joe Sample (piano, Fender/Rhodes); Wilton Felder (tenor saxophone, Fender bass); Wayne Henderson (trombone); Larry Carlton (electric guitar); Stix Hooper (drums).
Personnel: Larry Carlton (guitar); Wilton Felder (saxophone, tenor saxophone); Wayne Henderson (trombone); Joe Sample (keyboards); Stix Hooper (drums).
Recording information: 1974.
The follow-up to 1973's Unsung Heroes was the first of the group's Blue Thumb efforts to be distributed by ABC Records. The label switch also coincided with the inclusion of lyrical guitarist Larry Carlton as a full-fledged member. Although much of Southern Comfort puts a gloss on ideas made definitive on earlier efforts, the complaints are minimal and this remains the most appealing, multi-faceted incarnation of the band. The first track, "Stomp and Buck Dance," is an offhanded and skilled approach to the group's patently earthy style. The insistent "The Well's Gone Dry" has the edginess of some of the better tracks on Unsung Heroes, and has Carlton doing great work on the bridge. Not surprisingly, it is Carlton's presence here that adjusts the band chemistry and makes the best of Southern Comfort even more so. The best track here, the poignant "When There's Love Around," has Carlton's guitar attaining the perfect sense of longing that meshes well with Joe Sample's trademark Fender Rhodes tones. The last tracks here are also in a thoughtful ballad vein: "Lilies of the Nile" has great horn work from Wilton Felder and Wayne Henderson, and the last track, "A Ballad for Joe (Louis)," is a heartfelt rumination on the life of the famed boxer, featuring Sample's inherent sense of melody. A good representation of the Crusaders' tasteful and intelligent playing, Southern Comfort is more than recommended to their fans. ~ Jason Elias
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 13 ratings.
Based on 13 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)(5)
$8.84 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE