Glen Campbell Old Home Town
|You Save:||$7 (54% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Released: February 4, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Collector's Choice
Description by OLDIES.com:
With three chart hits out of 10 tracks, this 1983 album reversed Glen's late-'70s commercial decline, and kicked off his successful stint with the Atlantic American imprint.
- 1.Old Home Town
- 2.I Love How You Love Me
- 3.Hang on Baby (Ease My Mind)
- 4.Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me
- 5.A Few Good Men
- 6.On the Wings of My Victory
- 7.I Was Too Busy Loving You
- 9.A Woman's Touch
- 10.Mull of Kintyre
Personnel: Craig Fall (guitars); Steve Hardin (harmonica); T.J. Kuenster (keyboards, background vocals); Kim Darigan (bass guitar); Steve Turner (drums, percussion, background vocals).
After nearly two decades as a staple of the Capitol Records roster, Glen Campbell jumped ship to the Atlantic America imprint. Released in 1982, Old Home Town -- his first of three projects for the label -- is very much a reflection of the burgeoning MOR countrypolitan style that was taking over the genre. As the name intimates, Old Home Town is a reunion of sorts. Campbell is joined behind the scenes by producer Jerry Fuller, who was a fellow bandmate in the surf-rock guitar group the Champs. The selections recall the style and substance of his earlier LPs. Among them are some familiar names, primarily a trio of well-known singer/songwriters. Jimmy Webb supplies the lovely waltz-time ballad "I Was Too Busy Loving You," while David Pomeranz's affective and winsome "Old Home Town" was chosen as the title and the album's leadoff track. Campbell's take of the Paris Sisters hit "I Love How You Love Me" is refreshingly modern, with an arrangement that allows Campbell the opportunity to dust off his sturdy yet angelic falsetto. However, it is the inspired update of Paul McCartney's "Mull of Kintyre" that stands out from the rest. Campbell's earnest vocals draw upon his skills as an effective interpreter of sacred songs. Additionally, the multi-instrumentalist shows off a hidden talent for the bagpipes. Yes, the bagpipes. To a certain degree, the bluesy "On the Wings of My Victory" is infused with a soul-filled gospel flavor that few other country & western artists could genuinely replicate. Speaking of, "Blues (My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me)" has a jazzy ragtime feel that almost summons the style of Django Reinhardt's work with the Quintette du Hot Club de France. Comparatively harder driving is "A Few Good Men," one of two tunes contributed by Joe Rainey, who is arguably best known for the rural slice of life "I Love My Truck" -- which Campbell had actually covered several years earlier. Some purists considered this phase of Campbell's career as more water-treading than groundbreaking and his pop leanings no substitute for the earthier fare of Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and the so-called "outlaw" contingency. However, in reality Campbell was simply maintaining an approach that had garnered him attention for the past 20 years. The trend would continue on his 1983 follow-up, Letter to Home, as Campbell headed away from Nashville West in favor of the real thing. He landed in Music City U.S.A. supported by a star-studded cast that boasted down-home participation from David Briggs (keyboards), Jerry Douglas (Dobro), and Emmylou Harris (vocals). ~ Lindsay Planer
Johnny CashSings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Johnny CashSings The Greatest Hits / Sings The Blue Train (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Freddy Fender Before The Next Teardrop Falls (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Charlie Rich Early Years / The Memphis Sound (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE