The Gifted Ones
Only 4 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.99 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.99 (17% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: March 19, 1996
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: OJC
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Count Basie (piano); Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet); Ray Brown (bass); Mickey Roker (drums).
Recorded at Las Vegas Recording Studio, Las Vegas, Nevada on February 3, 1977.
Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1996, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Count Basie (piano); Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet); Mickey Roker (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Phil DeLancie.
Liner Note Authors: Joe Pass; Norman Granz.
Recording information: Las Vegas Recording Studio, Las Vegas, NV (02/03/1977).
Photographer: Phil Stern.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Count Basie; Dizzy Gillespie; Mickey Roker; Ray Brown .
On the face of it, THE GIFTED ONES is an unlikely pairing of musicians. Though it's a collaboration between Count Basie, one of the icons of swing, and Dizzy Gillespie, one of the pioneers of bebop, their musical styles are more congruent than one might think.
Both musicians are firmly rooted in the blues, as we see most poignantly on "Back to the Land," a composition they wrote together. Here, the band plays a slow 12/8 groove, while Gillespie soliloquizes over the top with stark yet pointed melodic jabs. Basie solos in his trademark minimalistic, "swing low" fashion, while bassist Ray Brown and drummer Mickey Roker keep the tempo rock steady. On the traditional tune, "Saint James Infirmary," the quartet harks back to a kind of New Orleans funeral march. As with "Back to the Land," the song gradually changes into a 12/8 feel, but here Basie's playing retains much of the atmosphere of trad jazz; his dark, almost ominous, chord clusters conjure images of a mournful procession on a rainy day.
Elmo HopeAll-Star Sessions (With John Coltrane, Donald Byrd, Jimmy... (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Oscar Peterson Big 4 / Dizzy Gillespie / Oscar PetersonThe Trumpet Summit Meets the Oscar Peterson Big Four
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Jazz Classics Collection, Volume 9: More Jazz and Big Band... (DVD)
$14.81 Super Savings
All You Need Is Love, Volume 3: Jungle Music - Jazz (DVD)
$5.90 Super Savings
Jazz Giants of the 20th Century: 17 Performances (DVD)(5)
Jazz Casual: DVD, Volume 1 Basie / Gillespie / Coltrane(10)
Top ranking titles in the Blues genre:
- Elmore James Complete Fire & Enjoy Sessions, Part 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Lightnin' Hopkins From The Vaults of Everest Records, Part 3 - Mama And Papa Hopkins (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Little Joe Blue The Very Best of Little Joe Blue (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Johnny Shines Mr. Cover Shaker (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Louisiana Red Lowdown Back Porch Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE