Count Basie April in Paris
Only 5 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$16.55 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.43 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 24, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Polygram Records
JazzTimes - 4/97, pp.76-77"...Count Basie never had a bigger hit than APRIL IN PARIS, and this album--starring the polished arrangements of Thad Jones and Neil Hefti--remains his best-known to this day. In fact, it has become an iconic summation of the Basie Sound..."
- 1.April In Paris
- 2.Corner Pocket
- 3.Didn't You
- 4.Sweetie Cakes
- 6.Shiny Stockings
- 7.What Am I Here For?
- 9.Mambo Inn
- 10.Dinner With Friends
- 11.April In Paris - (previously unreleased)
- 12.Corner Pocket - (previously unreleased)
- 13.Didn't You? - (previously unreleased)
- 14.Magic - (previously unreleased)
- 15.Magic - (previously unreleased)
- 16.What Am I Here For? - (previously unreleased)
- 17.Midgets - (previously unreleased)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Count Basie (piano); Marshall Royal, Billy Graham (alto saxophone); Frank Foster, Frank Wess (tenor saxophone); Charlie Fowlkes (baritone saxophone); Joe Newman, Thad Jones, Wendell Cully, Reunald Jones (trumpet); Henry Coker, Benny Powell, Bill Hughes (trombone); Freddie Green (guitar); Ed Jones (bass); Sonny Payne (drums).
Recorded at Fine Sound, New York on July 26, 1955 and January 5-6, 1956.
Personnel: Count Basie (piano); Freddie Green (guitar); Frank Wess (flute, clarinet, saxophone, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Marshall Royal (clarinet, alto saxophone); Frank Foster (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Charlie Fowlkes (baritone saxophone); Thad Jones (trumpet, cornet); Reunald Jones, Joe Newman , Wendell Culley (trumpet); Henry Coker, Benny Powell, Bill Hughes (trombone); Sonny Payne (drums); Jose Mangual, Ubaldo Nieto (percussion).
Recording information: 07/26/1955-01/05/1956.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Frank Foster; Frank Wess; Joe Newman ; Thad Jones.
It is wonderful albums like this that really benefit from the age of the CD. This was crying out for reissue, and apart from the cardboard sleeve, Verve have treated one of the Count's greatest albums with utmost respect. The lush swing of the Basie band has never sounded happier and the addition of alternate takes is a joy to behold. Listeners will be reminded just how good this band was as they stroll through "Sweety Cakes," add a sheen to Frank Foster's "Shiny Stockings" and rip it apart with Neal Hefti's magnificent "Dinner With Friends." A highly recommended album just bursting with joy.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 19 ratings.
Based on 19 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE