Goin' Home - A Tribute To Fats Domino (2-CD)
by Various Artists
Only 8 copies left
|You Save:||$2.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: September 25, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Vanguard Records
Uncut - p.1134 stars out of 5 -- "[With] performances that are uniformly affectionate, honouring the material....That makes Randy Newman's 'Blue Monday' a revelation..."
Dirty Linen - pp.53-54"[The album] showcases a host of great New Orleans talent, while touching on nearly all the great New Orleans styles and featuring a raft of classic songs that have now seeped into the general consciousness but were first Domino hits."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Ain't That a Shame - John Lennon
- 2.I'm Walkin' - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
- 3.Goin' Home - B.B. King / Ivan Neville's DumpstaPhunk
- 4.Blueberry Hill - Elton John
- 5.My Girl Josephine - Taj Mahal / The New Orleans Social Club
- 6.Every Night About This Time - Buddy Guy / The Dirty Dozen Brass Band / Joss Stone
- 7.I Want to Walk You Home - Paul McCartney / Allen Toussaint
- 8.Whole Lotta Loving - Lenny Kravitz / Rebirth Brass Band / Maceo Parker / Fred Wesley / Pee Wee Ellis / Troy Andews
- 9.Don't Leave Me This Way - Dr. John
- 10.I'm In Love Again / All By Myself - Bonnie Raitt / John Cleary
- 11.Please Don't Leave Me - Art Neville
- 12.Going to the River - Galactic / Robbie Robertson / Stanton Moore / Monk Boudreaux / Richard Vogel / Robert Mercurio
- 13.Blue Monday - Randy Newman
- 14.It Keeps Rainin' - Robert Plant / Dickie Landry / Steve Riley / Warren Storm / C.C. Adcock / David Egan / Derek Huston / Lil' Band O' Gold / David Ranson / Pat Breaux
- 15.One Night (Of Sin) - Corinne Bailey Rae
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Walking to New Orleans - Neil Young
- 2.Valley of Tears - Robert Plant / The Soweto Gospel Choir
- 3.My Blue Heaven - Norah Jones
- 4.Honey Chile - Lucinda Williams
- 5.Rising Sun - Sam Bush / Marc Broussard
- 6.When I See You - Olu Dara / Donald Harrison / Natchezippi Band
- 7.Be My Guest - The Skatalites / Lester Sterling / Ben Harper / Vin Gordon / Karl Bryan / Phil Chen / Kevin Batchelor / Val Douglas / Devon James / Lloyd Knibbs / Ken Stewart
- 8.Let the Four Winds Blow - Toots & the Maytals
- 9.I Hear You Knockin' - Willie Nelson
- 10.I Just Can't Get New Orleans Off My Mind - Marcia Ball / Irma Thomas
- 11.Don't Blame It on Me - Bruce Hornsby
- 12.I'm Gonna Be a Wheel Someday - Herbie Hancock / George Porter, Jr./Ziggy Modeliste / Renard Poch‚
- 13.Fat Man, The - Los Lobos
- 14.So Long - Galactic / Stanton Moore / Big Chief Monk Boudreaux / Ben Ellman / Richard Vogel / Robert Mercurio / Jeff Raines
- 15.When the Saints Go Marching In - Walter "Wolfman" Washington / Preservation Hall Jazz Band / Theresa Anderson
Personnel: Neil Young, Taj Mahal (vocals, guitar, harmonica); Norah Jones (vocals, guitar, piano); Toots Hibbert (vocals, guitar, keyboards, percussion); David Hidalgo, Lenny Kravitz, Lucinda Williams, Robbie Robertson, B.B. King, Willie Nelson, Cesar Rosas (vocals, guitar); Bonnie Raitt (vocals, slide guitar); Kevin Harris (vocals, tenor saxophone); Olu Dara (vocals, trumpet); Dr. John, Elton John, Jon Cleary, Randy Newman, Art Neville, Bruce Hornsby (vocals, piano); Big Chief Monk Boudreaux (vocals, tambourine); Corinne Bailey Rae, Irma Thomas, Joss Stone , Marc Broussard, Paul McCartney, Robert Plant, Theresa Andersson, Tom Petty, Walter "Wolfman" Washington, Ben Harper (vocals); Jan Ozveren, Jeff Raines, Davey Johnstone , Devon James, Kwatei Jones-Quartey, Mike Keller, Derwin "Big D" Perkins, Ian Neville, John Fohl, Mike Campbell , Phil Chen, Renard Poch‚, Tony Hall, Anthony Brown , John Goux, Buddy Guy, C.C. Adcock, Leo Nocentelli (guitar); Court Clement (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Doug Pettibone (electric guitar); Carl LeBlanc (banjo); Sam Bush (mandolin); Ben Ellman (harmonica, saxophone, baritone saxophone); Steve Riley (accordion); Dean Fraser, Emile Hall, Pee Wee Ellis, Sam Skelton, Steve Berlin, Bill Liston, Vincent Broussard (saxophone); Maceo Parker (alto saxophone, Fender Rhodes piano); Donald Harrison, Darryl Adams, Lester Sterling, Dickie Landry (alto saxophone); Jim Horn (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone, hand claps); Jason Mingledorff, Thad Scott, Brent Rose, Karl Bryan, Pat Breaux, Eric Traub, Herb Hardesty (tenor saxophone); Jim Corry, Derek Huston, Alonzo Bowens, Roger Lewis, Ronnie Cuber (baritone saxophone); Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews (trumpet, trombone); Derrick Shezbie, Clayton Reilly, Efrem Towns, Lee King, Glen Andrews, Gregory Michael Davis II, John Brunious, Leroy Jones, Percy Williams, Kevin Batchelor (trumpet); Corey Henry, Frederic Lonzo, Fred Wesley, Stafford Agee, Vin Gordon (trombone); Matt Perrine (tuba, upright bass); Benjamin Jaffe (tuba, tambourine); Phil Frazier (tuba); Kirk Joseph (sousaphone); Benmont Tench (piano, hand claps); Marcia Ball (piano, background vocals); David Egan, Allen Toussaint, Rickie Monie (piano); Calvin Turner (celesta, Fender Rhodes piano, percussion, background vocals); Ivan Neville (Clavinet); Richard Vogel (Wurlitzer organ, keyboards); Grub Cooper (keyboards, drums, percussion); Guy Babylon (keyboards, programming); Ken Stewart, Alex Bennett, Herbie Hancock (keyboards); Steve Ferrone (drums, hand claps); Butch Norton, Sam "Blue" Agard, Larry Johnson , Corey Keller, Herman Lebeaux, Jim Keltner, Johnny Vidacovich, Lloyd Knibbs, Louie P‚rez, Nigel Olsson, Shannon Powell, Stanton Moore, Terence Higgins, Warren Storm, Chad Gilmore, Raymond Weber, Herman V. Ernest III, Joe Lastie, Ziggy Modeliste (drums); Keith "Bass Drum Shorty" Frazier (bass drum); Derrick Tabb (snare drum); Coster Massamba (congas, percussion); Monk Boudreaux (tambourine); Scott Thurston (hand claps); Sipho Ngcamu, John Mahon (percussion); Jubilee Singers Of Fisk University, Virginia Rece, Ladonna Harley Peters, Susan Harriott (background vocals).
Audio Mixers: Chris Finney; Ryan Ulyate; David Bendeth; Gordie Johnson; Jon Cleary; Lloyd Peterson; Mark Linett; Mike Napolitano; Wayne Pooley; Ben Mumphrey; Matt Still; Brian Scheuble; C.C. Adcock.
Liner Note Author: Bill Taylor .
Recording information: Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas, NV (05/2007); Digital Insight, Las Vegas, NV (05/2007); Edison Studio, NY (05/2007); Funk Headquarters, New Orleans, LA (05/2007); N.R.G. Recording Studios, N. Hollywood, CA (05/2007); Prairie Recording Co., Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (05/2007); React Now Music And Relief Benefit Concert For Katrina (05/2007); Sear Sound, NY (05/2007); Studio Anchor, Kingston, Jamaica (05/2007); Studio Number C, New Orleans, LA (05/2007); T.C.M. Productions, Mill Valley, CA (05/2007); The Music Shed, New Orleans, LA (05/2007); The Nappy Dugout, New Orleans, LA (05/2007); The Tracking Room, Nashville, TN (05/2007); The Village Recorder, Los Angeles, CA (05/2007); Tipitina's (05/2007); Tossington Sound, Williamsburg, VA (05/2007); Village Recording Studios (05/2007).
Editor: Chris Finney.
Photographers: Dino Perrucci; Earl Jr. Perry; Danny Clinch.
Unknown Contributor Role: Linda "Peaches" Green.
Arranger: Jon Cleary.
While Allen Toussaint and Wynton Marsalis came to represent the public face of the New Orleans cultural revival after Hurricane Katrina, it was Fats Domino who may have provided the most inspiration for the troubled city. A lifelong resident of the famous Lower Ninth Ward, Domino was feared dead when his whereabouts were unknown following the disaster. Thankfully, Domino survived, insuring that far more than just his memory would serve to inspire the people of the Crescent City.
GOIN' HOME, a star-studded tribute to the Fat Man, arrived during the second anniversary of Katrina, and featured the likes of Tom Petty, BB King, Elton John, Willie Nelson, and Robert Plant taking on a host of Domino classics. Stand out tracks include a ska-tinged "Let the Four Winds Blow" from Toots and the Maytals, Robert Plant's gentle, slow-burning "It Keeps Raining," Neil Young's surprisingly lush "Walkin' to New Orleans," and Irma Thomas and Marcia Balls's funky, defiant "I Just Can't Get New Orleans Off My Mind." GOIN' HOME was released by Tipitina's Foundation with all proceeds going to the music programs of local public schools.
Bob Dylan30th Anniversary Concert Celebration [Deluxe Ed.] (2-CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 37 ratings.
Based on 37 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE