Gene Ammons Groove Blues
Only 10 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: October 19, 1992
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: OJC
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Gene Ammons (tenor saxophone); John Coltrane (alto saxophone); Paul Quinichette (tenor saxophone); Pepper Adams (baritone saxophone); Jerome Richardson (flute); Mal Waldron (piano); George Joyner (bass); Arthur Taylor (drums).
Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on January 3, 1958. Includes liner notes by Joe Goldberg.
Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1992, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Gene Ammons (tenor saxophone); Jerome Richardson (flute, tenor saxophone); John Coltrane (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Paul Quinichette (tenor saxophone); Pepper Adams (baritone saxophone); Mal Waldron (piano); Art Taylor (drums).
Liner Note Author: Joe Goldberg.
Recording information: Hackensack, NJ (01/03/1958).
Photographer: Don Schlitten.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Gene Ammons; Jerome Richardson; John Coltrane; Mal Waldron; Paul Quinichette; Pepper Adams; George Joyner.
On January 3, 1958, Gene Ammons had a good day-a very good day. Recording sessions from that date resulted in two albums with his All Stars, GROOVE BLUES and the equally impressive THE BIG SOUND. On GROOVE BLUES, the All Stars stretch out on four tunes: Ammons' own "Jug Handle," two numbers by pianist Mal Waldron, and one song by Rogers & Hammerstein.
The All Stars boast four saxophonists and represent the cream of the post-bop crop. John Coltrane's alto, Pepper Adams' baritone, and Paul Quinichette's tenor trade off with Ammons' tenor with fire and grace. Their massed sound, along with Jerome Richardson's flute, is a dazzling force as it flies over the piano and rhythm section gently pushing "Groove Blues." The closing ballad, "It Might as Well be Spring," is built around the lush tones of Ammons' solitary horn and the piano-anchored trio, its 11 minutes of passionate romanticism drifting by like a hypnotic reverie.
Elmo HopeAll-Star Sessions (With John Coltrane, Donald Byrd, Jimmy... (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
God Bless Jug and Sonny: Live at the Left Bank (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Duke Ellington Swinging at His Best (DVD) ~ $1.58 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Louis Armstrong The Early Years, Recorded Live 1938-1949 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Early Rock & Roll (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE