Cannonball Adderley Dizzy's Business (Live)
Only 5 copies left
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Cannonball Adderley ~ Cannonball Takes Charge [Expanded] ~ $11.12
- by Gregory Porter ~ Liquid Spirit ~ $13.07
- by Cannonball Adderley ~ Money in the Pocket (Live) ~ $12.05
- by Cannonball Adderley ~ Norman Granz, Jazz At The Philharmonic: Paris, 1960 ~ $17.08
- by Cannonball Adderley ~ The Quintet Plus ~ $10.56
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: January 25, 1993
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Milestone
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Cannonball Adderley Sextet: Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Yusef Lateef (tenor saxophone, flute, oboe); Nat Adderley (cornet); Joe Zawinul (piano); Sam Jones (bass); Louis Hayes (drums).
Producers include: Orrin Keepnews.
Engineers include: Wally Heider.
Recorded live at Kosei-Nenkin Hall, Tokyo, Japan on July 19, 1963; live at Samkei Hall, Tokyo, Japan on July 14 & 15, 1963; the Jazz Workshop, San Francisco, California on September 21, 1962. Includes liner notes by Orrin Keepnews.
Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1992, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Yusef Lateef (flute, oboe, tenor saxophone); Nat Adderley (cornet); Joe Zawinul (piano, electric piano, organ); Louis Hayes (drums).
Audio Remixers: Danny Kopelson; Jackson Schwartz; Phil DeLancie.
Liner Note Author: Orrin Keepnews.
Recording information: Jazz Workshop, San Francisco, CA (09/21/1962-07/19/1963); Kosei-Nenkin Hall, Tokyo, Japan (09/21/1962-07/19/1963); Sankei Hall, Tokyo, Japan (09/21/1962-07/19/1963); Tokyo, Japan (09/21/1962-07/19/1963).
Photographer: Lee Tanner.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Joe Zawinul; Louis Hayes; Nat Adderley; Sam Jones; Yusef Lateef; Cannonball Adderley.
Though it contains versions of many of Dizzy Gillespie's best-known works, DIZZY'S BUSINESS is not a tribute record so much as it is Julian "Cannonball" Adderley's successful attempt to record an album in Gillespie's style. The alto saxophonist seems to have learned a lot from the trumpet player in terms of phrasing and solo structure, despite the large differences between their respective instruments. Adderley's cornetist brother Nat wisely avoids echoing Gillespie's signature style on his solos.
The title track is affectionate pastiche, but such tracks as "Autumn Leaves," "Bohemia after Dark," and the polyrhythmic "Jive Samba" pull off the impressive feat of recalling Gillespie's bop stylings while sounding completely original and unmistakably Adderley. DIZZY's BUSINESS is a remarkable album.
The Poll WinnersExploring the Scene (with Shelly Manne & Ray Brown) (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
The Complete Albums Collection 1955-1958 (4-CD Box Set)
$12.54 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Cannonball Adderley Quintet in Chicago (Live) (CD)(5)
$9.90 Super Savings
Cannonball Adderley Quintet in San Francisco [Remastered... (CD)(7)
$9.05 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Leadbelly/Blind Willie McTell Masters of The Country Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE