Cannonball Adderley Dizzy's Business (Live)
Only 5 copies left
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: January 25, 1993
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Milestone
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Cannonball Adderley Sextet: Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Yusef Lateef (tenor saxophone, flute, oboe); Nat Adderley (cornet); Joe Zawinul (piano); Sam Jones (bass); Louis Hayes (drums).
Producers include: Orrin Keepnews.
Engineers include: Wally Heider.
Recorded live at Kosei-Nenkin Hall, Tokyo, Japan on July 19, 1963; live at Samkei Hall, Tokyo, Japan on July 14 & 15, 1963; the Jazz Workshop, San Francisco, California on September 21, 1962. Includes liner notes by Orrin Keepnews.
Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1992, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Yusef Lateef (flute, oboe, tenor saxophone); Nat Adderley (cornet); Joe Zawinul (piano, electric piano, organ); Louis Hayes (drums).
Audio Remixers: Danny Kopelson; Jackson Schwartz; Phil DeLancie.
Liner Note Author: Orrin Keepnews.
Recording information: Jazz Workshop, San Francisco, CA (09/21/1962-07/19/1963); Kosei-Nenkin Hall, Tokyo, Japan (09/21/1962-07/19/1963); Sankei Hall, Tokyo, Japan (09/21/1962-07/19/1963); Tokyo, Japan (09/21/1962-07/19/1963).
Photographer: Lee Tanner.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Joe Zawinul; Louis Hayes; Nat Adderley; Sam Jones; Yusef Lateef; Cannonball Adderley.
Though it contains versions of many of Dizzy Gillespie's best-known works, DIZZY'S BUSINESS is not a tribute record so much as it is Julian "Cannonball" Adderley's successful attempt to record an album in Gillespie's style. The alto saxophonist seems to have learned a lot from the trumpet player in terms of phrasing and solo structure, despite the large differences between their respective instruments. Adderley's cornetist brother Nat wisely avoids echoing Gillespie's signature style on his solos.
The title track is affectionate pastiche, but such tracks as "Autumn Leaves," "Bohemia after Dark," and the polyrhythmic "Jive Samba" pull off the impressive feat of recalling Gillespie's bop stylings while sounding completely original and unmistakably Adderley. DIZZY's BUSINESS is a remarkable album.
The Poll WinnersExploring the Scene (with Shelly Manne & Ray Brown) (CD)
Cannonball AdderleyNorman Granz, Jazz At The Philharmonic: Paris, 1960
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Duke Ellington Swinging at His Best (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Yusef Lateef Meditations (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Louis Armstrong The Early Years, Recorded Live 1938-1949 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE