Thelonious Monk Live at the 1964 Monterey Jazz Festival
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by Thelonious Monk ~ Big Band And Quartet In Concert ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Charles Mingus / Eric Dolphy ~ Cornell 1964 (2-CD) ~ $24.65
- by Dizzy Gillespie ~ Live at the 1965 Monterey Jazz Festival ~ $5.98 (Save 60%)
- by Various Artists ~ Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival - Highlights, Volume 1 ~ $5.98 (Save 60%)
- by John Coltrane ~ My Favorite Things: Coltrane at Newport (Live) ~ $9.44
- Released: August 21, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Monterey Jazz Fest
Down Beat - p.684 stars out of 5 -- "[A] pleasure....'Evidence,' a kind of cubist reconstruction of 'Just You Just Me,' smoothes out as Monk swings with a relaxed but pithy ease."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
By 1964, pianist/composer Thelonious Monk, once the American jazz scene's resident eccentric, was essentially a star, appearing on the cover of TIME magazine and recording for a major label (Columbia). Perhaps that's why Monk's quartet plays with a champion's swagger and enthusiasm at their 1964 appearance at the Monterey Jazz Festival. While this disc may appear to be a typical Monk set of the era ("Straight No Chaser" and other classics), there are some crucial differences. First, Monk's regular bassist wasn't available, so the excellent Steve Swallow (who'd soon rise to fame with the Gary Burton Quartet) filled in, and the final two tracks feature a small horn section. On the latter, this augmented group plays with a festive exuberance that recalls Charles Mingus. (Maybe it's no coincidence: Buddy Collette, who directed the horn section, played with Mingus.)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE