Current 93 Black Ships Ate the Sky
- Released: June 2, 2014
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Durtro / Jnana
Q - p.1133 stars out of 5 -- "Visionary whimsy and an aura of genuinely spooky menace aside, BLACK SHIPS ATE THE SKY is largely notable for its impeccable guests..."
Magnet - p.93"Dissertation-worthy references to almost every religion and mystic tradition, plus nursery rhymes, world history, Kafka, sci-fi and the blues!"
The Wire - p.53"[T]he songs are complexly layered, challenging the listener to fathom their depths, shadows and shadings."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1084 stars out of 5 -- "[A] dark veil of strings encircle the skipping, six-string mantras, a perfectly elegant platform for David Tibet's astonishing, conviction-filled disquisitions."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Idumea
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Sunset (The Death of Thumbelina)
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Black Ships in the Sky
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Then Kill Caesar
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Idumea
- $0.99 on iTunes6.This Autistic Imperium Is Nihil Reich
- $0.99 on iTunes7.The Dissolution of the Boat 'Millions of Years'
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Idumea
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Bind Your Tortoise Mouth
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Idumea
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Black Ships Seen Last Year South of Heaven
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Abaa Amma
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Idumea
- 14.Black Ships Were Sinking
- $0.99 on iTunes15.The Beautiful Dancing Dust
- $0.99 on iTunes16.Idumea
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Vauvauvau
- $0.99 on iTunes18.Idumea
- $0.99 on iTunes19.Black Ships Ate the Sky
- $0.99 on iTunes20.Why Caesar Is Burning Pt. II
- $0.99 on iTunes21.Idumea
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Current 93: William Breeze.
Personnel: David Tibet (vocals, guitar); Clodagh Simonds (vocals, psaltery, zither, harmonium); Andria Degens (vocals, harmonica); Pantaleimon, Marc Almond, Shirley Collins, Baby Dee, Antony , Cosey Fanni Tutti, Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Amy Phillips (vocals); Michael Cashmore (guitar, slide guitar, melodica, bass guitar, percussion); Steve Stapleton (guitar, piano); Ben Chasny (guitar); Joolie Wood (violin, recorder, clarinet, keyboards); William Breeze (viola); John Contreras (cello).
Audio Mixers: Colin Potter; David Tibet; Steve Stapleton.
Liner Note Author: David Tibet.
Recording information: 2005.
Arrangers: Marc Almond; Michael Cashmore; Shirley Collins.
Though Current 93 has in the past habitually blended industrial noises with folkier textures, the overall pastoral feel of its 2006 release BLACK SHIPS ATE THE SKY tends toward the latter. The album also features guest appearances from singers Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Marc Almond, and Antony Hegarty of Anthony & the Johnsons fame, all of whom contribute versions of the dark hymn "Idumea."
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$1.98 on SALE