Louis Prima Jump, Jive an' Wail - The Essential Louis Prima
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$1.30 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 17, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Capitol
Record Collector (magazine) - p.913 stars out of 5 -- "Keely's deadpan delivery and Butera's roaring saxophone can still excite and delight every time you hear their records."
- 1.Angelina / Zooma Zooma - (Live)
- 2.Jump, Jive An' Wail
- 3.That Old Black Magic - (with Keely Smith)
- 4.Oh Marie
- 5.Lip, The - (with Keely Smith)
- 6.Bourbon Street Blues
- 7.I've Got You Under My Skin - (with Keely Smith)
- 8.Pennies From Heaven
- 9.Hey Boy! Hey Girl! - (with Keely Smith)
- 11.(Up A) Lazy River
- 12.When You're Smiling / The Sheik Of Araby
- 13.I've Got The World On A String
- 14.Sing Sing Sing
- 15.Just a Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody
- 16.Felicia No Capecia
- 17.5 Months, 2 Weeks, 2 Days
- 18.St. Louis Blues
- 19.When The Saints Go Marching In
- 20.Big Daddy - (with Gia Maione)
- 21.Just One Of Those Things
- 22.Buona Sera
- 23.I Wan'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song) - (with Phil Harris)
- 24.Hello Dolly! - (previously unreleased)
- 25.Cabaret - (previously unreleased)
- 26.Civilization (Bongo, Bongo, Bongo) - (Bonus Track)
Additional personnel: Keely Smith, Gia Maione, Phil Harris .
Liner Note Author: James Ritz.
Louis Prima had been leading orchestras for 25 years when, in 1954, he finally got something that turned out to be the biggest break of his career: a late-night lounge act at the Sahara Hotel. It certainly wasn't a coveted gig, but it soon became the hottest ticket in town, with a dynamite stage show that featured Prima, the combination fireplug and master of ceremonies; his wife Keely Smith, a talented vocalist with both power and rhythm; and one of the tightest small groups in swing, the unduplicated Sam Butera with his band, the Witnesses. Then, when Capitol furnished a recording contract, the magic could be heard by more than just pleasure-seeking tourists to Sin City. Jump, Jive an' Wail: The Essential is the best document of Prima's Capitol years -- despite some heavy duplication, it beats even the excellent Capitol Collectors Series volume, which never included Prima's famous Jungle Book feature, "I Wan'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song)." The set borrows liberally from all of Prima's best Capitol LPs (even including two songs from 1967 's Louis Prima on Broadway for United Artists), and grabs the singles that were most popular (especially his duets with Smith on "That Old Black Magic" and "I've Got You Under My Skin"). ~ John Bush
That Old Black Magic - Louis Prima, Keely Smith, and the... (Book)
$16.46 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE