Howlin' Wolf Howlin' Wolf / Moanin' in the Moonlight
Hurry! Only 1 copy left Sorry no back-orders
|You Save:||$1.10 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: January 7, 1987
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Chess
Rolling Stone - 4/11/02, p.107Ranked #33 in Rolling Stone's "50 Coolest Records" - "...HOWLIN WOLF is the toughest, meanest of electric blues..."
- 1.Shake for Me
- 2.The Red Rooster
- 3.You'll Be Mine
- 4.Who's Been Talking?
- 5.Wang Dang Doodle
- 6.Little Baby
- 8.Goin' Down Slow
- 9.Down in the Bottom
- 10.Back Door Man
- 11.Howlin' for My Baby
- 12.Tell Me
- 13.Moanin' at Midnight
- 14.How Many More Years
- 15.Smokestack Lightning
- 16.Baby How Long
- 17.No Place to Go
- 18.All Night Boogie (All Night Long)
- 20.I'm Leaving You
- 21.Moanin' for My Baby
- 22.I Asked for Water (She Gave Me Gasoline)
- 24.Somebody in My Home
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
2 LPs on 1 CD.
Includes liner notes by Don Kamerer.
MOANIN' IN THE MOONLIGHT:
Personnel: Howlin' Wolf (vocals, harmonica); Willie Johnson, Hubert Sumlin, Jody Williams, Lee Cooper, L.D. McGhee, Otis "Smokey" Smothers (guitar); Adolph "Billy" Dockins (tenor saxophone); Ike Turner, Hosea Lee Kennard, Otis Spann (piano); Willie Dixon (bass); Willie Steel, Earl Phillips, Fred Below, S.P. Leary (drums).
Recorded in Memphis, Tennessee and Chicago, Illinois between 1951 and March 1959. Originally released on Chess (9195) in 1959. Includes original liner notes by Ralph Bass.
Personnel: Howlin' Wolf (vocals, guitar, harmonica); Willie Dixon (vocals, bass); Hubert Sumlin, Jimmy Rogers, Otis "Smokey" Smothers, Willie Johnson (guitar); Abe Locke (tenor saxophone); Johnny Jones, Henry Gray, Hosea Lee Kennard, Otis Spann (piano); Sammy Lay, Earl Phillips, Fred Below, S.P. Leary (drums).
Recorded in Chicago, Illinois between June 24, 1957 and May 1961. Originally released on Chess in 1962. Includes original liner notes by Paul Ackerman.
Personnel: Howlin' Wolf (vocals, guitar, harmonica); Willie Dixon (vocals); L.D. McGhee, Lee Cooper, Hubert Sumlin, Jimmy Rogers , Jody Williams, Otis Smokey Smothers, William Johnson, Willie Johnson (guitar); Abe Locke, Adolph Dockins (tenor saxophone); Henry Gray, Ike Turner, Hosea Lee Kennard, Johnny Jones , Otis Spann (piano); Earl Phillips, Fred Below, Willie Steel, S.P. Leary, Sam Lay (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Paul Ackerman; Ralph Bass.
Recording information: Chicago, IL; Memphis.
Simply put, this disc is indispensable for anyone interested in blues, rock, or good music in general. One of the rare, genuine "deals" on record store shelves, this two-fer compiles Howlin' Wolf's first two full-length albums on one CD and offers twenty-two tracks of the man's absolute finest. These are the essential documents of the man who was the last word in electric Chicago blues--a unique and riveting performer whose voice could loose buildings from their foundations and remove skin from bone.
Wolf's visceral impact is overwhelming at times, and his performances on these tunes are definitive. All his best-known and loved are here, including "Shake For Me," "The Red Rooster," "Wang Dang Doodle" Spoonful," "Evil" and "Forty Four." As good, if not better, than any "best of" collection, MOANIN' IN THE MOONLIGHT/HOWLIN' WOLF is a must.
The Complete RPM & Chess Singles As & Bs: 1951-1962 (3-CD...(15)
$16.73 Super Savings
The Best of Chess Records: Original Versions of Songs in... (CD)(21)
$3.99 Super Savings
The Best of Blues Guitars - 20th Century Masters /... (CD)(3)
$3.99 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 34 ratings.
Based on 34 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Blues genre:
- Leadbelly/Blind Willie McTell Masters of The Country Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Lightnin' Hopkins From The Vaults of Everest Records, Part 3 - Mama And Papa Hopkins (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- John Lee Hooker Gotham Golden Classics - The Rare Recordings (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Little Joe Blue The Very Best of Little Joe Blue (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Lightnin' Hopkins Blues (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE