Mamma Mia! [2008 Deluxe Edition] [CD / DVD] (2-CD)
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$0.99 (4% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
Format: CD (2 Discs)
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: November 24, 2008
- Label: Decca
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Mamma Mia!, musical play: Honey, Honey - Rachel McDowall / Ashley Lilley
- 2.Mamma Mia!, musical play: Money, Money, Money - Julie Walters / Meryl Streep
- 3.Mamma Mia!, musical play: Mamma Mia
- 4.Mamma Mia!, musical play: Dancing Queen - Christine Baranski / Julie Walters / Meryl Streep
- 5.Mamma Mia!, musical play: Our Last Summer - Amanda Seyfried / Stellan Skarsg†rd / Pierce Brosnan / Meryl Streep
- 6.Mamma Mia!, musical play: Lay All Your Love On Me - Dominic Cooper
- 7.Mamma Mia!, musical play: Super Trouper - Christine Baranski / Julie Walters / Meryl Streep
- 8.Mamma Mia!, musical play: Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) - Rachel McDowall / Ashley Lilley
- 9.Mamma Mia!, musical play: The Name Of The Game
- 10.Mamma Mia!, musical play: Voulez-Vous
- 11.Mamma Mia!, musical play: SOS - Meryl Streep
- 12.Mamma Mia!, musical play: Does Your Mother Know - Christine Baranski / Philip Michael
- 13.Mamma Mia!, musical play: Slipping Through My Fingers - Meryl Streep
- 14.Mamma Mia!, musical play: The Winner Takes It All
- 15.Mamma Mia!, musical play: When All Is Said And Done - Meryl Streep
- 16.Mamma Mia!, musical play: Take A Chance On Me - Christine Baranski / Colin Firth / Stellan Skarsg†rd / Philip Michael / Julie Walters
- 17.Mamma Mia!, musical play: I Have A Dream
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Mamma Mia (behind the music)
- 2.Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight)
Personnel: Christine Baranski, Colin Firth, Amanda Seyfried, Rachel McDowall, Dominic Cooper, Stellan Skarsg†rd, Pierce Brosnan, Ashley Lilley, Julie Walters, Meryl Streep (vocals); Kalle Moraeus (guitar, bouzouki, violin); Lasse Wellander (guitar, bouzouki); Rutger Gunnarsson (bouzouki); Jan Bengtson (flute, baritone saxophone, piccolo trumpet); P„r Grebacken (recorder, clarinet, saxophone); Leif Lindvall (trumpet); Benny Andersson (piano, keyboards); Per Lindvall (drums); J”rgen Stenberg (percussion).
Audio Mixers: Bernard L”hr; Benny Andersson.
Liner Note Author: Martin Lowe.
Recording information: Air Studios, Lyndhurst Hall, Angel Studios, London, Eng; Atlantis studio, Stockholm, Sweden; EMI Abbey Road Studios, London, England; Mono Music Studio, Stockholm, Sweden.
Photographer: Peter Mountain.
Arranger: Benny Andersson.
After more than nine years (and counting) of continuous stage performances, the musical Mamma Mia!, featuring songs from the ABBA catalog awkwardly stitched into a romantic comedy plot, was adapted for the big screen by the same producer/director/writer team that had taken it to the theater. (That would be Judy Craymer, Phyllida Lloyd, and Catherine Johnson, respectively.) Like its counterpart, it pleased moviegoers but not critics, and thankfully the film itself is not the primary subject of this consideration. The soundtrack album simply consists of 18 ABBA songs sung by the stars of the movie, most of whom are not professional singers. The instrumental portions of the music are remarkably similar to the original ABBA recordings, which is not surprising given that ABBA member Benny Andersson, who produced this album, reunited the original studio musicians to re-create their parts. Their playing (his, in particular) is a bit less precise here and there three decades on, but for the most part it's hard to tell the difference. On the original recordings, the Swedish singing group revealed its ESL (English as a Second Language) limitations, just as the songwriters (Andersson, fellow member Bj”rn Ulvaeus, and sometimes Stig Anderson) revealed their ESL lyric-writing limitations. Here, the first of those problems is alleviated, while the second is somewhat elided by performers who are actors used to finding ways to say (or sing) even the silliest lines with some conviction. That's all to the good. But the generally low to mediocre quality of the singing is such as to suggest an all-ABBA night in a karaoke bar.
The singers may be divided into those who embarrass themselves and those who manage to avoid doing so. In the latter category, the most prominent is Meryl Streep, in the starring role of Donna, an innkeeper living on a Greek isle with her daughter Sophie, who is about to be married and, never having been told who her real father is, sets the plot in motion by writing to three of her mother's ex-boyfriends and inviting them to the wedding. Streep, who has some stage singing experience, is actually better when she's belting than when she has to be more intimate and expressive, as she is called on to do for most of the ballad "The Winner Takes It All." Amanda Seyfried, as Sophie, also does well (and she even gets an extra solo, singing "Thank You for the Music" with only piano accompaniment as the album's hidden track). Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsg†rd, and Julie Walters are not heard from much, and therefore also fit into the non-embarrassing category. The real problem is Pierce Brosnan, who simply can't sing at all, but who tries hard during such leads as "SOS" and particularly "When All Is Said and Done," to often painful effect. (It's too bad that Christine Baranski, a ringer who has real musical theater chops, only gets to sing "Does Your Mother Know," not only because the album would be improved vastly with more of her, but also because she is so much better than the others that she makes them sound even worse than they are.) Onscreen, just as on-stage, Mamma Mia! is at best a guilty pleasure. On disc, it is no more than a souvenir of the film experience (which didn't keep this album from topping charts all over the world upon its release). ~ William Ruhlmann
Wicked: A New Musical [Original Broadway Cast Recording] (CD)
$6.54 Super Savings
Black Roses (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)(2)
$12.98 on SALE
My Rifle, My Pony and Me: Movie & TV Soundtracks (CD)(25)
$20.91 Super Savings
King Kong / She (Original Soundtracks) [Import] (CD)(2)
$4.98 on SALE
Songs, Themes & Laughs From "The Andy Griffith Show" (CD)(13)
$5.97 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 18 ratings.
Based on 18 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE