- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Released: December 9, 2008
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: View Video
Packaging: Keep Case
Additional Release Material:
- Featurette - About Placido Domingo
- Bonus Arias (2)
- Trailers - DVD Recommendations
Performers, Cast and Crew:
This benefit for UNESCO was taped in Paris in 1989. Selections include arias and ensembles from Verdi's "Luisa Miller," Don Carlos," "Il Trovatore" and "Otello" and Puccini's "Suor Angelica" and "Tosca." Lorin Maazel conducts the National Orchestra of France.
Operatic arias from Puccini and Verdi are performed in this 46-minute concert which highlights performances from the 1989 Classic Aid Gala recorded live in Paris.
Classical Music |
- Part of the VIEW Video Opera Series.
- This video contains highlight from the 1989 Classic Aid II Gala Concert, which was a presentation of the United Nations High Commission for Refugees, live from UNESCO in Paris, and dedicated to the more than 12 million refugees throughout the world.
- Eight cameras were used to film the concert, and the sound was recorded on digital hi-fi stereo.
- Selections include:
* Lorin Maazel conducting The National Orchestra of France, performing "Overture"
* Wang Yan Yan performing Verdi's Don Carlos "Tu che le vanita conoscenti", orchestra conducted by Placido Domingo
* Placido Domingo performing Verdi's Luisa Miller "Quando le sere al placido"
* Simon Estes performing Verdi's Otello, Iago's "Credo"
* Shirley Verrett performing Puccini's Tosca, "Vissi d'arte"
* Barbara Hendricks performing Puccini's Suor Angelica "Senza mamma, o bimbo"
* Placido Domingo and Shirley Verrett perform Verdi's Il Trovatore "Non sono tuo figlio"