Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks Beatin' the Heat
|You Save:||$2.40 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 29, 2000
- Label: Surfdog Records Ada
Rolling Stone - 10/12/00, p.903 stars out of 5 - "...It is a dandy, jumping set with all the essential elements of [his] campy cabaret intact..."
Entertainment Weekly - 9/8/00, p.88"...He's recreated the band and spiced things up with stellar, simpatico musicians...for a playful album o fmostly new, old-sounding tunes..." - Rating: B
Q - 10/03, p.1064 stars out of 5 - "...The magic is still there: catchy tunes, dancing rhythms and quirky humour in full, irresistible effect..."
Uncut - 9/03, p.1183 stars out of 5 - "...It's full of typical Hicksian wit..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 12/00, p.106"...Old Hicks fans will have no problem with [this] album, though it's slicker and less acoustic than before....the feel-good mood lasts to the final track."
- 1.My Cello
- 2.I Don't Want Love
- 3.I Scare Myself
- 4.Strike It While It's Hot
- 5.He Don't Care
- 6.Meet Me on the Corner
- 7.I'll Tell You Why That Is
- 8.Hummin' to Myself
- 9.Doin' It
- 10.Piano Has Been Drinking,, The (Not Me)
- 11.Chattanooga Shoe-Shine Boy
- 13.Hell, I'd Go
- 14.Don't Stop the Meter, Mack
- 15.I've Got a Capo on My Brain
Dan Hicks & The Hot Licks: Dan Hicks (vocals, guitar); Tom Mitchell (guitar);
Sid Page (violin); Kevin Smith (upright bass); Gregg Bissonette (drums); Karla De Vito, Jessica Harper (background vocals).
Additional personnel includes: Rickie Lee Jones, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Bette Midler (vocals); David Darling (guitar, piano, organ, vibraphone, percussion); Gary Hoey, Paul Robinson (guitar); Jay Leach (pedal steel guitar, banjo, dobro); Brian Godchaux (mandolin, violin); Novi Novog (violin); Stefanie Fife (cello); David Jackson (accordion, keyboards); Red Young (keyboards); Randy Landas (bass); Bucket Baker (drums).
Producers: Gary Hoey, Dave Kaplan, David Darling.
Engineers include: Jim Wirt, Jeff Peters, C.J. Eiriksson.
Includes liner notes by Dave Kaplan.
After a gap of two and a half decades, Dan Hicks returned with a revamped Hot Licks for this wonderful set. The only original Hot Lick on board is violinist Sid Page, but Hicks was always the key player, so BEATIN' THE HEAT is of a piece with the earlier works. An impressive handful of special guests (Rickie Lee Jones, Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Bette Midler) appear, singing duets on a number of songs.
With all the bracing interplay on display, it's obvious the guests are there because they love this music. The album is rich with Hicks' classic jazzy charm and sardonic wit. Producers Gary Hoey and Dave Kaplan adopt some modernist approaches, with judiciously employed contemporary studio effects, such as on the remake of the Hicks classic "I Scare Myself." This is a welcome return and essential title for any fan of Dan Hicks, as well as anyone new to his music.
Festival of Acoustic Music - Greek Theater, U.C. Berkeley (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Last Train to Hicksville: The Home of Happy Feet (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 27 ratings.
Based on 27 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Roots (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Classic Country Radio (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Early Rock & Roll (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE