Dion Bronx Blues: The Columbia Recordings (1962-1965)
|CYBER SALE:||$3.18 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$11.79 (79% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 27, 2010
- Originally Released: 2010
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Columbia/Legacy CGK 46972 (1991)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Dion is one of the most celebrated performers of the rock era and has been inducted into both the Rock & Roll and Grammy Halls of Fame. This CD features his classic recordings on the Columbia label from the early 1960s. Includes Dion?s biggest hits "Ruby Baby" and "Donna the Prima Donna."
Entertainment Weekly - 4/12/91"..this fascinating 20-track compiliation reveals a rewarding interest in blues, ballads, Presleyesque gospel- country, and Bob Dylan...has excellent liner notes, amazing sound, five previously unreleased recordings, and not a bad performance in the bunch." - Rating: A
- 1.Can't We Be Sweethearts
- 2.Little Girl of Mine
- 3.Oh Happy Day
- 4.A Sunday Kind of Love
- 5.Will Love Ever Come My Way
- 6.Gonna Make It Alone
- 7.Ruby Baby
- 8.This Little Girl
- 9.Film Flam
- 10.Donna the Prima Donna
- 11.Drip Drop
- 12.Troubled Mind
- 13.Sweet, Sweet Baby
- 14.Sweet Papa Di
- 15.Don't Start Me Talkin'
- 17.The Seventh Son
- 18.Kickin' Child
- 19.Two Ton Feather
- 20.Baby, I'm in the Mood for You
Recorded between 1962 and 1965.
Audio Remasterer: Chris Herles.
Audio Remixer: Chris Herles.
Liner Note Author: Gene Sculatti.
American music underwent dramatic transitions between 1962 and 1965, when Dion DiMucci made the Columbia recordings featured on BRONX BLUES. When Dion began his tenure at Columbia, the first wave of rock stars had faded from public view, replaced at the top of the charts by safer pop stars. By the end of his four-year stretch, the British invasion, Bob Dylan, and the American roots revival had completely altered the musical landscape. What makes BRONX BLUES such an enjoyable compilation is that it not only stands on its own as great music, but also speaks to the times and Dion's response to them.
The earliest recordings on BRONX BLUES find Dion revisiting the doo-wop canon, turning in stellar performances of "Can't We Be Sweethearts," "Oh, Happy Day," and "Ruby Baby." Originals such as "Gonna Make it Alone" and "This Little Girl" also stand out. The second half of BRONX BLUES finds Dion exploring rock's blues roots, most notably on his brilliant, blues-inflected cover of the Drifters' "Drip Drop." The closer, Dylan's "Baby, I'm in the Mood for You," points to Dion's impending move into folk rock. Throughout, Dion's singing redeems lesser material and elevates the good stuff to the level of greatness.
The Funk BrothersThe Best of Funk Brothers - 20th Century Masters /... (CD)
$5.39 CYBER SALE
Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD)
99¢ CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 955
- UPC: 090431161029
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- !!! Louden Up Now (2-LP) ~ $15.95 CYBER SALE
- !!! Must Be The Moon (3vrs) (Import) (12") ~ $6 CYBER SALE
- The "5" Royales Catch That Teardrop (CD) ~ $13.17 CYBER SALE
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $7.49 CYBER SALE
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3 CYBER SALE
Oldies: Doowop Music Categories:
- The "5" Royales The Five Royales (CD) ~ $5.78 CYBER SALE
- The "5" Royales It's Hard But It's Fair: King Hits and Rarities (CD) ~ $12.35 CYBER SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $5.19 CYBER SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $4.78 CYBER SALE
- Jewel Akens Very Best of Jewel Akens (CD) ~ $5.99 CYBER SALE