Keely Smith Vegas '58 -- Today (Live)
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: April 12, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Concord Records
- 1.I Wish You Love / Opener
- 2.When You're Smiling / The Sheik Of Araby
- 3.I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues
- 5.Basin Street Blues / When It's Sleepy Time Down South
- 7.More Than You Know
- 8.Lazy River
- 10.Don't Take Your Love From Me
- 11.Jump, Jive And Wail!
- 12.Sweet And Lovely
- 13.Buona Sera
- 14.Angelina / Che La Luna / Zooma Zooma
- 16.Just A Gigolo / Ain't Got Nobody
- 17.I Wish You Love / That Old Black Magic
- 19.What Kind Of Fool Am I?
- 20.Closer: I Wish You Love
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Keely Smith (vocals); Jack Bashkow (alto saxophone); Jerry Vivino (tenor saxophone); John Chuboda, Jim O'Connor (trumpet); Ben Williams (trombone); Dennis Michaels (piano); Kenny Ascher (synthesizer); Chip Jackson (bass instrument); Joe Cocuzzo (drums).
The proposition of deep freezing a late-'50s gig by Louis Prima and Keely Smith with accompaniment by Sam Butera & the Witnesses -- which usually earned its tag, no small praise, as the Wildest Show in Vegas -- and thawing it nearly 50 years later is a risky one; specifically, it risks losing most of the energy that made the show so special in the first place. Nevertheless, when Keely Smith's booking agent, Allen Sviridoff, suggested that she resurrect the sound and feel of a vintage Prima/Smith show for a live appearance, she agreed. Recorded for the Concord label, Vegas '58 -- Today can't help but pale next to the real thing. Most importantly, absent are Prima's volcanic performance personality and Butera's powerful band; in the show, Smith functioned as a cool flame, an able foil for all the exuberant action going on around her. Her 2004 band is energetic and powerful enough, and they do a solid job of recycling some of Prima's own arrangements for his standards like "Basin Street Blues," "Lazy River," "Jump, Jive, an' Wail," and "That Old Black Magic." And Smith makes the date as loose as her old shows with Prima, laughing and giggling and even good-naturedly sharing her possible lack of judgment in trying to reprise Prima's vocal performances herself (which she then confirms by performing them). She does still shine on the material she performed with the classic show, such as "Don't Take Your Love from Me," "That Old Black Magic," and a breathless closer, "What Kind of Fool Am I?" ~ John Bush
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$6.74 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE