Keely Smith Keely Swings Basie Style...With Strings
12 copies available
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: November 18, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Concord Records
- 1.Intro-Voice Over: April In Paris
- 2.April In Paris
- 3.You Go To My Head
- 4.How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
- 5.Happiness Is A Thing Called Joe
- 7.How High The Moon
- 8.I Can't Stop Loving You
- 9.Cherokee (Indian Love Song)
- 10.Mood Indigo
- 11.Some Of These Days
- 12.Love For Sale
- 13.One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)
- 14.Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
- 15.St. Louis Blues
- 16.Take The 'A' Train
- 17.The House I Live In / Star Spangled Banner
- 18.Tag-Voice Over: April In Paris
Personnel includes: Keely Smith (vocals); Dennis Michaels (leader, arranger, piano); Don Menza (arranger, tenor saxophone); Frank Collet (arranger, piano); Sal Lozano, Lanny Morgan (alto saxophone); Pete Christlieb ( tenor saxophone); Bob Efford (baritone saxophone); Frank Szabo, Carl Saunders, Wayne Begeron, Pete Candoli (trumpet); Andy Martin, Chauncey Welsch (trombone); Bryant Beyers (bass trombone); Jim Self (tuba); Kirk Smith (bass); Steve Barnes (drums)
Recorded at Capitol Records, Hollywood, California in July 2002. Includes liner notes by Keely Smith.
The swing revival was custom made for singers like Keely Smith. Keely Swings Basie Style...With Strings follows 2000's Swing, Swing, Swing and 2001's Grammy-nominated Keely Sings Sinatra, capping off a trilogy of lovingly performed classic jazz. Smith's backward glance, however, isn't just pure nostalgia. Keely Swings Basie Style, for instance, begins with Count Basie-style arrangements and then applies them to a number of songs not necessarily associated with the bandleader. The addition of strings provides another distinctive layer. Smith begins with "April in Paris" and brings her warm vocals to bear on a number of other classics, including "Happiness Is a Thing Called Joe" and "How High the Moon." There's a particularly lovely take on "Mood Indigo" and a bouncy version of "Cherokee (Indian Love Song)." Smith balances these standards with spry contemporary fare like "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)" and "Can't Take My Eyes off of You." The closing number offers something of a surprise, beginning with "The House I Live In" and then flowing into "Star Spangled Banner," ending the album on a patriotic note. The combination of tasteful arrangements, good song choices, and Smith's pleasing vocals guarantees that fans will warmly embrace Keely Swings Basie Style. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE