- Released: July 30, 1991
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Parlophone (Wea)
- 1.La Vie, L'Amour
- 2.La Vie en Rose
- 4.Comme Moi :: Like Me
- 5.Le Vieux Piano :: The Old Piano
- 6.Polichinelle :: Punchinella
- 7.Toujours Aimer :: Always Loving
- 8.L'Effet que Tu Me Fais :: The Effect You Have On Me
- 9.Mon Manege a Moi
- 10.Mon Dieu :: My God
- 11.Hymne a L'Amour :: If You Love, Really Love Me
- 12.T'es Beau, Tu Sais
- 13.Bravo pour le Clown!
- 14.C'Est L'Amour :: It's Love
- 15.Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien
- 16.Avant Nous :: Before Us
- 17.La Goualante de Pauvre Jean :: Poor People Of Paris
Personnel: 쳌dith Piaf (vocals).
A very strong best-of collection, VOICE OF THE SPARROW's title is a reference to Edith Piaf's widely used moniker "the Little Sparrow." And it's an apt moniker at that: Piaf was petite, and--in a life filled with tragedy--seemingly vulnerable, yet her song was strong and assured, transcending nations and time. With her heavy vibrato, pure tone, and emotionally intense delivery, Piaf would influence nearly every French chansonnier who followed in her wake
The lack of liner notes is this compilation's only drawback: a figure of Piaf's stature deserves the proper historical and artistic context. Yet it's hard to argue with the selection of songs here, which includes classics like "La Vie, L'Amour," "Milord," and "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rein." Piaf's passionate performances are stirring and, at times, wrenching; one listen through VOICE OF THE SPARROW will confirm the great importance given to this legendary singer's art.