by Various Artists
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Various Artists ~ All-Time Greatest Christmas Records ~ $12.58
by Various Artists ~ The Best of Christmas: 25 Original Hits by the Original Artists (Disc 3) ~ $0.99
by Various Artists ~ The Best of Christmas Classics (Discs 1 & 2) (2-CD) ~ $6.49
by Various Artists ~ Now That's What I Call Christmas!: The Essential ~ $17.08
by Various Artists ~ The Time-Life Treasury of Christmas: Holiday Memories (2-CD) ~ $23.48
- Released: October 5, 2004
- Label: Capitol
- 1.Christmas Song, The (Merry Christmas to You) - Nat "King" Cole
- 2.Baby, It's Cold Outside - Dean Martin
- 3.Winter Wonderland - Bing Crosby
- 4.Christmas Waltz, The - Nancy Wilson
- 5.I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm - Les Brown & His Band Of Renown
- 6.Merriest, The - June Christy
- 7.Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Lou Rawls
- 8.Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! - Lena Horne
- 9.(Everybody's Waitin' For) The Man With the Bag - Kay Starr
- 10.Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town - Johnny Mercer & The Pied Pipers
- 11.Happy Holiday - Peggy Lee
- 12.Sleigh Ride - Ferrante & Teicher
- 13.I'd Like You For Christmas - Julie London
- 14.It Came Upon a Midnight Clear - Ella Fitzgerald
- 15.All I Want For Christmas (Is My Two Front Teeth) - Nat "King" Cole Trio
- 16.Auld Lang Syne - Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians
Arrangers: Lombardo; Gus Levene.
Here it is, one of the best Christmas albums ever compiled onto a single disc. Of the 30-plus compilations of the same generic title released over the decades, Christmas Classics is one of the very few that actually warrants its billing, challenging Rhino's well-rounded 1990 comp and Capitol's perennial Bing Crosby collection for the distinction of being the outright best "Christmas Classics" disc ever put on the market as of its 2004 release. And yes, this one just may indeed be the best, a 16-track scouring of the Capitol catalog of the '40s, '50s, and '60s. As such, it's comprised of the style of traditional pop championed by the label during those golden years. There's a masterfully sequenced mix of vocal pop (Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, the Nat King Cole Trio), vocal jazz (June Christy, Lena Horne, Ella Fitzgerald), and instrumental jazz-pop (Les Brown & His Band of Renown, Ferrante & Teicher, Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians). Every song here is a highlight, whether it's the timelessness of Nat King Cole's "The Christmas Song," the sheer beauty of Nancy Wilson's "The Christmas Waltz," or the torchy longing of Julie Christie's "I'd Like You for Christmas." If these songs don't put you in the holiday mood, nothing will! And even if traditional pop isn't your bag, this music still has a certain antiquated appeal today in the 21st century that seems totally appropriate for such a traditional time as the holidays, when antiquity is most alluring. In addition to compiling a darn near perfect Christmas collection of Capitol's finest holiday recordings, the label furthermore took the time to design appealing packaging for the disc, making it all the more first-rate as far as this sort of collection goes. ~ Jason Birchmeier
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Thanks For The Memories - A Special Holiday Ed. (CD)(2)
99¢ on SALE