- Released: January 9, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: RCA
- 1.All the Things You Are, song (from "Very Warm for May") - (previously unreleased)
- 2.A Kiss for voice & orchestra
- 3.Song Is You, song, The (from "Music in the Air")
- 4.Where or When, song (from "Babes in Arms")
- 5.Love is the Sweetest Thing
- 6.I'll See You Again, song (from "Bitter Sweet")
- 7.Night and day, song (from "Gay Divorce")
- 8.Your Eyes Have Told Me So
- 9.They Didn't Believe Me, song (from the musical play by S. Jones "The Girl From Utah")
- 10.If I Loved You, song (from "Carousel")
- 11.Only a rose
- 12.You and the Night and the Music
- 13.Sylvia for voice & piano (or orchestra)
- 14.On the Street Where You Live, song (from "My Fair Lady")
- 15.Fools Rush In
- 16.Beautiful Love
- 17.I've got you under my skin, song (from the film "Born to Dance")
- 18.Long Ago (And Far Away), song (from the film "Cover Girl")
- 19.You Are Love, song (from the 1936 film "Show Boat")
- 20.I'll Be Seeing You, song
- 21.My Romance, song (from "Jumbo")
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Principally recorded at Radio Recorder Studio, Los Angeles, California between August 1949 & May 1956. Includes liner notes by Derek Mannering.
Digitally remastered by Marian M. Conaty.
Personnel: Mario Lanza (tenor).
Liner Note Author: Derek Mannering.
Recording information: Radio Recorder Studio, Los Angeles, CA (07/29/1951-06/13/1952); Republic Studios, Los Angeles, CA (07/29/1951-06/13/1952).
My Romance contains a selection of love songs Mario Lanza sang on The Mario Lanza Show in the early '50s, in addition to two RCA Victor recordings from 1956. The Mario Lanza Show was a Sunday-evening CBS radio program that featured Lanza and guests such as Gisele MacKenzie singing with the Ray Sinatra Orchestra, led by Frank Sinatra's second cousin. Ray Sinatra is the conductor on all of the performances here except for the two 1956 recordings. The songs are studio recordings -- not live audience takes -- so the quality is as high as Lanza's commercial recordings. The anthology isn't exclusively devoted to broadcast recordings, nor does it outwardly emphasize that aspect of the collection. Instead, it is designed to look like nothing more than a collection of love songs, which makes one wonder why Lanza's biggest hit, "Be My Love," was not included. Nonetheless, the songs that are included are romantic, even thrilling, with Lanza's powerful but subtle and well-controlled voice interpreting great songbook selections by Rodgers & Hart, Lerner & Loewe, and Jerome Kern. Despite the noncommercial origin of most of the recordings, only "All the Things You Are" is previously unreleased. ~ Greg Adams
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 13 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 88,557
- UPC: 090266375127
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item