Leonard Cohen Songs of Love and Hate
Only 7 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$7.38 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.61 (18% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 23, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Sony Legacy
Rolling Stone - 9/2/71, p.43"...the record as a whole has not the charm that his first develops after a long while--it is not as likable, because it is frequently down and out depressing..."
Q - p.1324 stars out of 5 -- "The record itself is a masterpiece of bitterness and cynicism....The self-lacerating honesty makes it the most fascinating album of his early career."
NME (Magazine) - 8/12/00, p.28Ranked #5 in The NME "Top 30 Heartbreak Albums" - "...[His] most vicious, lonely and unforgiving album....Much, much more than the sum of its dark, monumentally crafted parts, and a soundtrack to a generation of bedsit breakups."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Avalanche
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Last Year's Man
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Dress Rehearsal Rag
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Diamonds in the Mine
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Love Calls You by Your Name
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Famous Blue Raincoat
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Sing Another Song, Boys - (live)
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Joan of Arc
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Dress Rehearsal Rag - (take Early Version, Bonus)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Leonard Cohen (acoustic guitar); Leonard Cohen (vocals); Corlynn Hanney (vocals, background vocals); Bubba Fowler (acoustic guitar, banjo, bass instrument); Charlie Daniels (acoustic guitar, fiddle, bass instrument); Michael Sahl (strings); Susan Mussmano (background vocals); Ron Cornelius (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Bob Johnston (piano).
Liner Note Author: Anthony DeCurtis.
Recording information: Studio A, Nashville, TN (1968-1970); Trident Studios, London, England (1968-1970).
Photographers: Leonard Cohen; David Gahr.
It doesn't get darker than this. Though Leonard Cohen had already established himself as the doyen of doom with his first two albums, his third, SONGS OF LOVE AND HATE, finds him kicking off the 1970s with the sharpest repudiation of the '60s peace-and-love/flower-power ethic the world had yet seen from the "sensitive troubadour" corner of the music map. Though it's not really a "concept album," SONGS OF LOVE AND HATE feels like a guided tour through one man's battle-scarred love life. The utter emotional degradation of "Avalanche," the suicidal frenzy of "Dress Rehearsal Rag," and the bitter regret of "Last Year's Man" all sound like stops on the same ill-fated journey. The arrangements are wisely based around Cohen's world-weary voice and hypnotic acoustic-guitar patterns, with occasional orchestrations rising like dark clouds in the background. Possibly Cohen's finest album, LOVE AND HATE would stand as a monument to explorers of the musical Dark Side for decades to come--such as Nick Cave, who memorably covered "Avalanche"--and to anyone nursing a bitter, broken heart.
Tower of Song: An Epic Story of Canada and Its Music (DVD)
$5.98 on SALE
The Complete Studio Albums Collection (11-CD Box Set)
$27.12 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 16 ratings.
Based on 16 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Very Best of Joan Armatrading [Universal International] (CD)
$9.90 Super Savings
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Will You Love Me Tomorrow: The Girl Groups of 50s & 60s... (CD) NEW
$6.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Impressions Singles Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Johnny Mathis The Best of Johnny Mathis (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Original Gospel Harmonettes Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE