- Released: April 16, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Sony
Rolling Stone - 3/30/00, p.653 stars out of 5
- "...[It] is everything we've come to expect from the band and absolutely nothing more. A wonderfully juvenile set of leering rawk....old-school all the way; this is the classic BACK IN BLACK lineup bashing out minimalist arena rock..."
Q - 1/01, p.90
Included in Q's "50 Best Albums of 2000".
Q - 5/00, p.1074 stars out of 5
- "...Skullbusting riffs behind a cloth-capped...screecher....It's business as usual, but what a mighty business it is."
CMJ - 3/20/00, p.34
"...keeps up with the blues rock tradition on which [they've] built [their] massive reputation. For those about to rock, Brian Johnson, the Young Brothers, and Cliff and Phil salute you once again..."
Melody Maker - 3/21/00, p.474 stars out of 5
- "...The song remains the same....You know the tunes will be basic, bashed out with a shinbone in the midst of a terrifying boozing session, and the vocals are sure to screech an endearing mixture of bravdo and innuendo....Listen and worship..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 4/00, p.91
"...AC/DC are back in business; and business...is good....The overall impression is of a band deconstructing its music to its basic elements...and having a lot of fun putting it all back together."
NME (Magazine) - 2/26/00, p.379 out of 10
- "...AC/DC are the greatest....The 'DC are elemental...[They] bring the rock. All you really need to know is that STIFF UPPER LIP is more of that good 'ol 'DC stuff....[The album] would be a 10 out of 10
if it had cannons on it..."
- 1.Stiff Upper Lip
- 3.House Of Jazz
- 4.Hold Me Back
- 5.Safe In New York City
- 6.Can't Stand Still
- 7.Can't Stop Rock 'N' Roll
- 8.Satellite Blues
- 10.Come And Get It
- 11.All Screwed Up
- 12.Give It Up
AC/DC: Brian Johnson (vocals); Angus Young, Malcolm Young (guitar); Cliff Williams (bass); Phil Rudd (drums).
Recorded at The Warehouse Studio, Vancouver, British Colombia, Canada.
AC/DC: Malcolm Young (guitar); Angus Young , Cliff Williams , Phil Rudd, Brian Johnson .
Personnel: Brian Johnson (vocals); Angus Young (guitar); Cliff Williams (bass guitar); Phil Rudd (drums).
Audio Mixer: Mike Fraser.
Liner Note Authors: Masa Ito; Alan Di Perna.
Recording information: The Warehouse Studio, Vancouver, B.C., Canada (2000); The Warehouse Studio, Vancouver, British Columbia, Cana (2000).
Photographers: Jeffrey Mayer; Martin Philbey; Bob King ; George Chin; Dean Karr; Mista Dean Karr; Jon Super; Debbie Smyth; Kelly A. Swift; John McMurtie.
Unknown Contributor Role: Dean Karr.
With STIFF UPPER LIP, AC/DC continued down the same road of consistency driven by Angus Young's workmanlike riffing and Brian Johnson's raspy yowl. As it had done for the two decades leading up to this release, the Australian quintet ignored outside musical trends. AC/DC charts its own straight-and-narrow course with equal parts swagger ("House of Jazz"), grinding defiance ("Can't Stop Rock 'N' Roll"), and smoldering menace ("Meltdown").
As is the band's wont, AC/DC seasons the set with a handful of tried-and-true hard-rock anthems, including the call-and-response "Satellite Blues" and the crackling tomcat-anthem title track. Not surprisingly, quite a bit of sexual innuendo bubbles up throughout STIFF UPPER LIP, particularly on "Come and Get It" and "Give It Up." Ever the rock & roll traditionalists, AC/DC even includes an indictment of all things politically correct, "Damned."