- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: September 2, 2002
- Label: EMI Europe Generic
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Robert Elms Speech
- 2.To Cut A Long Story Short - (demo version)
- 3.Freeze, The - (demo version)
- 5.Glow - (7" version)
- 6.Coffee Club
- 7.Chant No. 1 (I Don't Need This Pressure On)
- 8.Instinction - (Richard Burgess version)
- 9.True - (new mix)
- 10.Gold - (TRUE instrumental)
- 11.Heaven Is A Secret
- 12.Code Of Love
- 13.With The Pride
- 14.Always At The Back Of My Mind
- 15.Only When You Leave
- 16.I'll Fly For You - (live)
- 17.Highly Strung - (live)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 7.Paint Me Down
- 9.Chant No. 1 (I Don't Need This Pressure On)
- 10.To Cut A Long Story Short
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.To Cut A Long Story Short - (12" version)
- 2.Freeze, The - (12" mix #2)
- 3.Glow - (12" version)
- 4.Chant No. 1 (I Don't Need This Pressure On) - (extended mix)
- 5.Coffee Club - (remix)
- 6.Instinction - (12" version)
- 7.Lifeline - (12" version)
- 8.Communication - (12" version)
- 9.Gold - (12" version)
- 10.Only When You Leave - (12" version)
- 11.I'll Fly For You - (12" Glide mix)
- 12.Highly Strung - (extended version)
This boxset features Spandau Ballet's collected hits, demos, new mixes, a live disc and a disc of remixes.
Spandau Ballet: John Keeble, Gary Kemp, Martin Kemp, Steve Norman, Tony Hadley.
Producers include: Tony Swain, Spandau Ballet, Richard James Burgess, Steve Jolley, Trevor Horn.
Compilation producers: Gary Kemp, Nigel Reeve.
Recorded between 1980 & 1984. Includes liner notes by Gary Kemp.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Chris Sullivan (vocals).
Audio Mixers: Gary Kemp; Tony Swain.
Liner Note Author: Gary Kemp.
Recording information: Wembley Arena (12/1984).
Photographer: John Stevens .
In 2003, the two-disc REFORMATION anthology heralded a sunny day for hardcore fans of long-defunct 1980s New Romantic heroes Spandau Ballet. REFORMATION isn't merely a hits collection (the single-disc GOLD: THE BEST OF SPANDAU BALLET had already done a fine job on that score). It contains enough rarities to make the hearts of Spandau maniacs leap with delight.
The early New Romantic scene was focused on clubbing and dancing, and Spandau's extended 12" mixes were an important element of the band's sound; a wealth of those are captured here, exhibiting the band in all its synth-riffing, bass-popping, white-funk glory. Demo versions of early singles "To Cut a Long Story Short" and "The Freeze" help illuminate how the band's sound first came together. Live version of later, more commercial material ("I'll Fly for You," "Highly Strung") show the degree to which Spandau Ballet eventually became arena-friendly pop stars, but there's more than enough choice early material on REFORMATION to keep the most uncompromising of Spandau fans extremely satisfied.